Review score
+1 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I got a new bucket of salt and for whatever reason the alk is really high. For reference, I'm using Tropic Marin Bio Actif. The approximate alk should be 8, and I've ran my tank at ~8.3 alk for the last 6 months as I used my last bucket.

Long story short, I realized after my last water change that my alk spiked and I hadn't tested the salt in the mixing bucket since I started my tank last October. I just tested the bucket and at 1.025 salinity is read at 9.9 alk. I know that Hanna checkers can be off by .3, but I guess this is why my alk spiked. I turned off my auto doser for Tropic Marin All For Reef last week since I didn't need the alk consumption of .5 per day that I normally used and I didn't want it to climb more.

Now to my question, this is the first coral I've added in two weeks from AquaSD (a dry spell for me) and I just tested the water before I started my drip and theirs tested at 7.3 alk. Normally I drip acclimate for ~30 mins for acros, 15 mins for LPS and never had issues. Since there is a larger gap in the alk from their tank to mine this time (7.3 to 9.6, where in the past the delta was whatever they ran their tanks at and 8.3) should I drip acclimate longer to not shock the tenuis I just got home with?

OP
OP
Kasrift

Kasrift

2500 Club Member
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Good to know. I sometimes float a bag for temp, but I live about 12 mins away from AquaSD so the temp isn't the same as a shipped coral. I didn't want to alk shock the coral.

As an aside, what are people's thoughts on Polyplab Reef Primer? I used this for the first time, typically I dip with CoralRX. I just happened to have a blasto that started showing signs of receding so I thought I'd throw it in Reef Primer at the same time. We'll see what happens.

www.dinkinsaquaticgardens.com
OP
OP
Kasrift

Kasrift

2500 Club Member
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Sorry, I realized my sentence didn't quite make sense. *The temp issue of receiving a shipped coral isn't the same as just driving down the road to pick it up. I only float a bag for temperature if I run another errand in between pickup and going home. Otherwise I assume it isn't that much of an issue and just drip, dip and put in tank.

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%
Back