Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So i have a 20 gallon long tank that i want to drill on 1 side to make a peninsula tank that would have a 10 gallon sump.
Now that being said i don't know how many holes i need, what size holes, and where to drill (top,middle,bottom).
I'm not sure if it is even possible to drill on the side panels of a 20 gallon long tank.
Some help on this would be great since this would be a new build that i would like to work on and document each step.

www.dinkinsaquaticgardens.com

Peace River

Thrive Master
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
So i have a 20 gallon long tank that i want to drill on 1 side to make a peninsula tank that would have a 10 gallon sump.
Now that being said i don't know how many holes i need, what size holes, and where to drill (top,middle,bottom).
I'm not sure if it is even possible to drill on the side panels of a 20 gallon long tank.
Some help on this would be great since this would be a new build that i would like to work on and document each step.

You should be okay to drill at least two holes in a 20L. Regardless of the tank or what I am told I try to always check to make sure that the panel I am drilling is not tempered glass (there are videos on youtube about how to use polarized sunglasses and a phone/computer to check). When drilling the biggest thing to remember is to go s-l-o-o-o-o-w (maybe even a little slower than that)!!! It is more like grinding the glass than drilling a hole in it.

lpsouth1978

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How many holes and where to place them depends on how you want to set it up. If it was my tank, I would use an Eshopps Eclipse S overflow. It comes with a template and drill bit. This would give you the overflow. Then just drill a hole for a 3/4" bulkhead and you have a return. paint the side black, and done. :)

Nutramar Foods

Peace River

Thrive Master
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
How many holes and where to place them depends on how you want to set it up. If it was my tank, I would use an Eshopps Eclipse S overflow. It comes with a template and drill bit. This would give you the overflow. Then just drill a hole for a 3/4" bulkhead and you have a return. paint the side black, and done. :)

+1 All great recommendation!

@lpsouth1978 - I'm curious what you would recommend for the return including plumbing and nozzle? :)

lpsouth1978

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
On my 40B I used 3/4" locline with an RFG nozzle. I am using a Jebao DCT-8000 (WAY overkill for this tank) for the return and just have black vinyl tubing going from the pump to a barbed fitting attached to the 3/4" bulkhead. I think this is a solid setup for most tanks, even much larger systems.

OP
OP
H

Hamada

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Well the thing is i don't want an overflow box.
I just want a hole to drain directly into a sock filter and a hole to go to the return pump.
Drilling wont be an issue i just don't know where to have the holes and how many. 1 for return pump and 2 for draining to a sock or 1 to drain to the sock?
As i mentioned i want to drill the side on the 20 gallon to make it into a peninsula tank.
I'm aiming for a very simple tank, the only equipment i want to use is Return pump,heater and a light (THATS IT)

Top Shelf Aquatics

Dr. Dendrostein

Marine fish monthly
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
See youtube first, hardest part is starting the groove/cut . Here's my tank 46 gallon, 3 drains 1 inch piping. On your ,if mine one main drain 1 inch and a little higher 3/4 or 1 inch emergency drain.

Screenshot_2019-10-05-13-29-10-1.png

Dr. Dendrostein

Marine fish monthly
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well the thing is i don't want an overflow box.
I just want a hole to drain directly into a sock filter and a hole to go to the return pump.
Drilling wont be an issue i just don't know where to have the holes and how many. 1 for return pump and 2 for draining to a sock or 1 to drain to the sock?
As i mentioned i want to drill the side on the 20 gallon to make it into a peninsula tank.
I'm aiming for a very simple tank, the only equipment i want to use is Return pump,heater and a light (THATS IT)
Drill close to brim. If power goes out, tank will still be full.

Top Shelf Aquatics
OP
OP
H

Hamada

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
See youtube first, hardest part is starting the groove/cut . Here's my tank 46 gallon, 3 drains 1 inch piping. On your ,if mine one main drain 1 inch and a little higher 3/4 or 1 inch emergency drain.

View attachment 1245324

So looking at your tank you have all your holes next to each other but they are not leveled right?
What holes should be higher or lower? I like the idea of 3 holes 1 return and 2 drains now i need to know where to have them and how far apart from each other also the tank is kinda narrow would drilling 3 holes on 1 side stress out the glass or make it weaker?
I want to be able to sleep at night without worrying that the tank might crack due to stress from 3 holes on 1 side.

Thanks in advance, this is a lot of help!!

Dr. Dendrostein

Marine fish monthly
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So looking at your tank you have all your holes next to each other but they are not leveled right?
What holes should be higher or lower? I like the idea of 3 holes 1 return and 2 drains now i need to know where to have them and how far apart from each other also the tank is kinda narrow would drilling 3 holes on 1 side stress out the glass or make it weaker?
I want to be able to sleep at night without worrying that the tank might crack due to stress from 3 holes on 1 side.

Thanks in advance, this is a lot of help!!
Two drains on one side the return opposite side facing drain pipes. As to weak tank. Can't help you there?

AS

Anchor

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A 20 long should have not a lot of pressure so I would not worry about weakness. As to 2 drains and a return on the same end, Peninsula style, I would have to recommend against that.. a 20 long has reasonably thin glass for the size.

a suggestion for overflow rather than using an actual box might be to cut a piece of PVC in a wedge shape. A 90° degree cut (which is actually a 45° on your PVC??) so you have a flat side you can glue onto the bulkhead and the other side along the surface of the water -- glue this to bulkhead --> Γ <--- top edge is at waterline. (tried to find a triangle but alas could only remember this alt code)

If you also glue a piece of screen to the top edge it will serve as a filter to prevent really big chunks of things from immediately clogging it..

OP
OP
H

Hamada

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for everyone helping me out. After reading all this i was trying to go for a cheaper route and i just thought might aswel go for the better route (at least for me) i have decided to go for a 20gallon long all in one aquarium from Innovative marine.
Thanks again for all the help and making my decision easier.

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%
Aquatic Life TDS Pen Offer
Back