Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I recently picked up a couple tanks I'd like to use for a future project. The issue is they both have a small hole, about 1/4", drilled in the bottom panel. Would it be wiser to silicone a piece of glass over this existing hole and drill a new drain and return line, or try to make the current hole larger? What would be the best way to do this without breaking the glass?
Thanks for the advice!

World Wide Corals

Jason_MrFrags

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I would be careful as the bottoms tend to be tempered. If the holes are that small, perhaps silicon over with glass from the inside if you can get surface cleaned up good.

OP
OP
Maddlesrain

Maddlesrain

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would be careful as the bottoms tend to be tempered. If the holes are that small, perhaps silicon over with glass from the inside if you can get surface cleaned up good.
Is there a safe way to tell if the glass is tempered? They're so tiny, I'm not sure what the intended purpose was for them. I thought maybe I could find a tiny bulkhead to seal them, but nothing is small enough!

If the glass is not tempered, should I drill the bottom or try one of the sides?

www.dinkinsaquaticgardens.com
OP
OP
Maddlesrain

Maddlesrain

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
rumor has it you can use polarized sunglasses to tell if they are tempered. Sometimes the tank manufactures indicate if they are tempered
Unfortunately I have no way of knowing the manufacturer, but I'll try the glasses trick! I've also been thinking of doing a HOB overflow to avoid the stress of drilling, it's just much less appealing to me.

pennied

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I recently picked up a couple tanks I'd like to use for a future project. The issue is they both have a small hole, about 1/4", drilled in the bottom panel. Would it be wiser to silicone a piece of glass over this existing hole and drill a new drain and return line, or try to make the current hole larger? What would be the best way to do this without breaking the glass?
Thanks for the advice!
Well it’s already been drilled, so there’s your answer to whether or not it can be drilled…lol

BaliReefBox

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It could have been tempered after the hole... you can use polarised sunglasses to tell if its tempered or not...youtube has some vids...to make it bigger get a 5mm acrylic template of the hole size you want and tape it in position and off ya go...slow and lots of water with minimal pressure ..good luck

OP
OP
Maddlesrain

Maddlesrain

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well it’s already been drilled, so there’s your answer to whether or not it can be drilled…lol
I meant is it possible to drill the existing hole larger. I figured that they are drillable (unless they were manufactured that way for some reason), but I wasn't sure if drilling an existing hole larger was a bad idea vs just starting over.

OP
OP
Maddlesrain

Maddlesrain

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It could have been tempered after the hole... you can use polarised sunglasses to tell if its tempered or not...youtube has some vids...to make it bigger get a 5mm acrylic template of the hole size you want and tape it in position and off ya go...slow and lots of water with minimal pressure ..good luck
Thank you for the advice! I'll definitely going to do the sunglass test to double check. From reading a little it sounds like I'd mostly let the drill do the work as far as pressure? I've never drilled a tank myself, but figure now is the time to try it.

pennied

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I meant is it possible to drill the existing hole larger. I figured that they are drillable (unless they were manufactured that way for some reason), but I wasn't sure if drilling an existing hole larger was a bad idea vs just starting over.
Confused Always Sunny GIF by It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia

www.dinkinsaquaticgardens.com
Top Shelf Aquatics

GatorGreg

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm not sure why you're being unnecessarily condescending. I asked a genuine question as I've never drilled a tank myself.
This is just my opinion. Just relying on my gut alone here. I would think your chances of busting the glass are greatly elevated if you try to drill out a bigger hole around a smaller hole that’s already there. I could be wrong though

Blue Spot Octopus

2500 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They make hole saw adapters to re drill a hole, I have that tool, let me tell you it will be very difficult to do on glass. I would seal the two holes and drill on the back of the tank were you are suppose to. Or just buy another tank.

BaliReefBox

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
diamond hole saws dont use a centre drill...thats why the guide template is a good idea. imo the existing hole wont make any dif..slow and water and you will be fine..........

or smash the glass ;)

Top Shelf Aquatics

Shon

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

There's a thread on this, I did it and posted about it also. Hope this helps.

AI Hydra

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%
NYOS
Back