Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Pretty boring week at work. Decided to put my art skills to work :rolling-on-the-floor-laughing:

Does anyone else sit at work when its slow and just think about there next setup?

I've spent all week dreaming and looking at BRS to try and price everything out. I've thought about running multiple tanks on one system. My wife has wanted to get into the hobby for a while now but I don't want to get her a tank because I know I'd be taking care of it ( I already have 2 tanks I'm doing maintenance on).

I figured if I could find a way to plumb her tank into mine then I would only need to do one water change and it would keep a 20 gallon (the size she wants) stable. I know for sure I want to run an apex with a trident on it for my next tank to be able to monitor everything.

Were also trying to have our first kid so I figured for an extra $1000 for setup costs why not get them one too.

I know this dream is probably 10+ years away (need to get a bigger house for kids and a setup like this and have money for kids) but I think part of my favorite things about this hobby is thinking about what you could do next.

What's your dream setup?

Dream Setup.jpg

SPR1968

No, it wasn’t expensive dear....
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks a good idea, and relatively simple to set up plumbing wise, just make sure the sump can hold all the water flooding back in from all the display tanks in the event of a power failure

Oh, and get back to work!! Lol

Orphek OR3 reef aquarium LED bar

o2manyfish

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When planning for our dream tank the plan was to build an island tank in the middle of the house. 360 deg walk around.Extremely open contemporary steel stand. We were planning on building what I called the concrete coffin under the house. Per the engineers we needed an 8'x4'x3' concrete and rebar box to properly support a tank of this size. But when it came to getting an engineer to work out the details for my stand 'concepts' that's when there was a lot of head scratching. While not impossible to do, living in Los Angeles in an Earthquake zone, trying to engineer these stands to support this kind of moving weight became more challenging.The room has 18' ceiling and we build a soffit at one end of the room with triple ciruits, ethernet and a steel structure to support what would look kind of like an airplane wing suspended over the tank to hold the lights --- This was after I spend 5 months trying to work with Chinese Amusement Park Companies to work out getting some giant Octopus tentacles coming out of the wall and ceiling to hold the lights.

But then after remodeling the house for this tank. Building an entire filter wall outside for all the equipment. My wife and I realized how much we liked the new open look of our living room we had created - In remodeling for the tank we had taken out the wall to a kitchen, a game room, and the fish room (where the existing 400g tank was) and created a very open floor plan. I was enjoying the open feeling of the house so much that I couldn't picture anymore enjoying having a giant tank in the middle of the house.

So when push came to shove and earlier this year the situation presented itself to build my last tank (in this house), we went back to the fish room, flipped the tank to the opposite side of the room and built the biggest tank we could. I had just spend 18 months with a 36" deep 560g tank and knew while I loved the depth i couldn't live with it - I'm too short and fat to reach into a 36" deep tank. So 30" was our tall dimension. We wanted to keep a walkway to the kitchen. So 120" became our maximum length. That left the depth of the tank (front to back). I had always thought 60" would be really amazing space to aquascape and work with. And I had the room to go 60". But now the tank was going to be up against a wall, and not able to access from the back. Which meant getting to the back of the 60" tank was going to be an uncomfortable stretch. I also realized that since this aquarium was at the back of our house partially blocking the back doors of the house that if I went 60" deep I wouldn't be able to get a refridgerator or stove in and out of the house -- And that was bad - So we settled on a 48" deep tank. While that is still a stretch to the back of the tank, Titan Aquatic Exhibits took my physical properties (short and fat) and put them in a fancy computer simulator system and enginnered to the top braces of the tank to support my weight. So now I can lay across the entire top of the tank to reach the back.

With the tank up against a wall, such a creative stand would no longer be as eyecatching. So I opted for a more typical base block stand. But I did Cantilever the stand so that the tank overhangs the stand on the front and sides by 12". Looks pretty cool.

Here are some of my stand concepts.....

1000g Tank Stand Design r3.jpg

1000g Tank Stand Design r4.jpg

1000g Tank Stand Design r5.jpg

Here is what we ended up with. The cabinetry isn't finished yet. There are still pieces coming to cover the base of the tank, the top, and the suspended light rack. From this angle you can barely notice the 12" overhand on the front and sides. Final dimensions 120x48x30 - 750g. The tank is the only part of the system in the house. Outside is all the filtration equipment plus 2 180g frag tanks for a total system volume of 1500g

Dave B

2022-12-22 11.40.29.jpg

OP
OP
thomas_neil

thomas_neil

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When planning for our dream tank the plan was to build an island tank in the middle of the house. 360 deg walk around.Extremely open contemporary steel stand. We were planning on building what I called the concrete coffin under the house. Per the engineers we needed an 8'x4'x3' concrete and rebar box to properly support a tank of this size. But when it came to getting an engineer to work out the details for my stand 'concepts' that's when there was a lot of head scratching. While not impossible to do, living in Los Angeles in an Earthquake zone, trying to engineer these stands to support this kind of moving weight became more challenging.The room has 18' ceiling and we build a soffit at one end of the room with triple ciruits, ethernet and a steel structure to support what would look kind of like an airplane wing suspended over the tank to hold the lights --- This was after I spend 5 months trying to work with Chinese Amusement Park Companies to work out getting some giant Octopus tentacles coming out of the wall and ceiling to hold the lights.

But then after remodeling the house for this tank. Building an entire filter wall outside for all the equipment. My wife and I realized how much we liked the new open look of our living room we had created - In remodeling for the tank we had taken out the wall to a kitchen, a game room, and the fish room (where the existing 400g tank was) and created a very open floor plan. I was enjoying the open feeling of the house so much that I couldn't picture anymore enjoying having a giant tank in the middle of the house.

So when push came to shove and earlier this year the situation presented itself to build my last tank (in this house), we went back to the fish room, flipped the tank to the opposite side of the room and built the biggest tank we could. I had just spend 18 months with a 36" deep 560g tank and knew while I loved the depth i couldn't live with it - I'm too short and fat to reach into a 36" deep tank. So 30" was our tall dimension. We wanted to keep a walkway to the kitchen. So 120" became our maximum length. That left the depth of the tank (front to back). I had always thought 60" would be really amazing space to aquascape and work with. And I had the room to go 60". But now the tank was going to be up against a wall, and not able to access from the back. Which meant getting to the back of the 60" tank was going to be an uncomfortable stretch. I also realized that since this aquarium was at the back of our house partially blocking the back doors of the house that if I went 60" deep I wouldn't be able to get a refridgerator or stove in and out of the house -- And that was bad - So we settled on a 48" deep tank. While that is still a stretch to the back of the tank, Titan Aquatic Exhibits took my physical properties (short and fat) and put them in a fancy computer simulator system and enginnered to the top braces of the tank to support my weight. So now I can lay across the entire top of the tank to reach the back.

With the tank up against a wall, such a creative stand would no longer be as eyecatching. So I opted for a more typical base block stand. But I did Cantilever the stand so that the tank overhangs the stand on the front and sides by 12". Looks pretty cool.

View attachment 2951784

View attachment 2951785

View attachment 2951786

Here is what we ended up with. The cabinetry isn't finished yet. There are still pieces coming to cover the base of the tank, the top, and the suspended light rack. From this angle you can barely notice the 12" overhand on the front and sides. Final dimensions 120x48x30 - 750g. The tank is the only part of the system in the house. Outside is all the filtration equipment plus 2 180g frag tanks for a total system volume of 1500g

Dave B

View attachment 2951788
I wouldn't even know where to begin with a tank like that. I love those monster tanks, hope to be able to get one one day.

www.dinkinsaquaticgardens.com

Gumbies R Us

Another Fish in the Sea
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

View attachment 2951784

View attachment 2951785

View attachment 2951786

Dave B

View attachment 2951788
Tank looks incredible though!! I love the concept arts you made for it as well!

nuxx

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Actually had our 470 drain 5 gallons a day into a coral QT frag tank for coral that was going to go into the big tank to sit for 2-3 months fishless.

470 would get 5 gallons of new saltwater a day and frag tank would get nice nutrient filled water from the big tank.

Dream tank would be something that I didn't have to touch unless I wanted to :p Also wouldn't need anything to be QT and all feeding / maintenance would be done for me :p

Also no annoying algae, pests, etc...

Eabe24

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Pretty boring week at work. Decided to put my art skills to work :rolling-on-the-floor-laughing:

Does anyone else sit at work when its slow and just think about there next setup?

I've spent all week dreaming and looking at BRS to try and price everything out. I've thought about running multiple tanks on one system. My wife has wanted to get into the hobby for a while now but I don't want to get her a tank because I know I'd be taking care of it ( I already have 2 tanks I'm doing maintenance on).

I figured if I could find a way to plumb her tank into mine then I would only need to do one water change and it would keep a 20 gallon (the size she wants) stable. I know for sure I want to run an apex with a trident on it for my next tank to be able to monitor everything.

Were also trying to have our first kid so I figured for an extra $1000 for setup costs why not get them one too.

I know this dream is probably 10+ years away (need to get a bigger house for kids and a setup like this and have money for kids) but I think part of my favorite things about this hobby is thinking about what you could do next.

What's your dream setup?

View attachment 2951634
I love this idea! Maybe an easy way to setup two frag tanks (thinking of what would work for me)

AS
BRS

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%
Coral-vault.com
Back