Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
this thread is turning into a picture book.

With life getting a little busier, I downgraded to a 65 gallon reef (from 250 gallons) and focused on growing out some of the corals I currently have. I added a small frag tank in the basement to collect some other interesting corals I come across (mainly chalice). I got rid of all of my large fish, donating some to our local zoo and a local coral farm.

This tank only has a few fish now in the main display: 1 tiny blue tang, 1 banggai, 1 spotted mandarin, 1 ocellaris, 1 small melanurus wrasse.

Below are a few photos - the tank has been up for about ~8 months so far, but most of the corals have been with me for awhile now.

I kept my basement sump (100 gal rubbermaid filled with rock) with a 50 gallon low boy and 30 gallon frag tank plumbed in. Return is a Reeflo hammerhead/barracuda.

Lights in the 65g are Apex Sky and flow is MP40.

DSC_0820.jpg

The above photo was taken when the tank was just set up. Things have shifted a bit since then.
The below photo is a recent photo of the acro that I purchased from a local reefer during a tank teardown. It's growing and coloring up nicely. I'm not sure what it is.
DSC_2928.jpg

DSC_0845.jpg

Photo above is the clown is hosting in the hammer coral from 2021, no stress on the coral a year later. Clown won't leave that area and protects it from any hands reaching in the tank.

The below photo is a blasto colony that I purchased from a local reefer as well. The heads on these are massive and the colors are amazing in person. A purple stylo shades it just enough and it's been doing really well at the bottom of the tank.
DSC_2981.jpg

DSC_2979.jpg

The above photo are a group of reverse fruit loop zoas. Only zoas in the tank.
Below is another side tank shot (my favorite viewing angle).
DSC_0818.jpg

To be continued: more updates on the tank, corals and I'll venture downstairs to give an overview of the corals I have in the frag tanks and setups there.

Last edited:
www.dinkinsaquaticgardens.com
Top Shelf Aquatics
www.dinkinsaquaticgardens.com

Susan Edwards

5000 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
View attachment 2844412
Hard to get a good photo of this pectinia, but this is one of my favorites since it's been through three different tanks. Grown from a small frag.
I love this coral. Had a rainbow pec and it didn't make it. Space invader almost died but it has come back. Need to find a perm. place for it as it is on the sandbed. So far, no stingers.

Top Shelf Aquatics
OP
OP
Andrew.oh17

Andrew.oh17

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I love this coral. Had a rainbow pec and it didn't make it. Space invader almost died but it has come back. Need to find a perm. place for it as it is on the sandbed. So far, no stingers.
I have been able to keep this rainbow pectinia closer to other coral, doesn't seem to send out as many sweepers as the space invader. It's been a fun one to watch grow. For now, it's glued to a small rock so I can move the rock around if needed.

Top Shelf Aquatics

Gumbies R Us

Another Fish in the Sea
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OP
OP
Andrew.oh17

Andrew.oh17

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Petcrazyson @McCarrick
Corals are all doing well. We pivoted a little bit(ok, a lot) and I've upgraded to a fish only upstairs and now have my three frag tanks (including this 65 gallon) down in my basement.

The lights I use are: Neptune Sky over the 65 gal (SPS / mixed reef), Reef Breeders 32 V2 over the 50 gal lowboy (mostly easy SPS, lots of LPS - this tank is getting cleaned out soon), and finally my 30 gallon frag tank filled with chalice and a basket of anemones - lights over that one are T5 and a metal halide that runs for 3 hours a day.

Below is a quick photo of the upgraded 180 acrylic. It'll be a fun experiment as these tanks are all plumbed in together. More to come!
IMG_4987.jpg

Nutramar Foods
AquaCave

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%
RED SEA
Back