Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This weekend was almost a total wash. Saturday it rained like crazy here in Miami but I managed to get some work done on the build.

I worked on the control center. I need your feedback on the control center. I painted it orange and black but I think the orange is a bit too much what do you think? Be honest, be brutal if you have to.
IMG_1929.jpg
IMG_1930.jpg

Top Shelf Aquatics
OP
OP
nept2n

nept2n

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sunday was much better day in terms of weather. Nice and cool. Sundays tasks were to build a wooden mock up of the tank so that I can measure out the entire height of the build.

The actual tank is be rehabbed. I bought a used 120 and I am redoing the silcone installed a euro brace and now it's been holding water to test the seals. Today I put pumps in to create flow and choas in the tank to continue the test. I am lucky I am able to do this at work rather than home.

These pic show the rails I built for the canopy. The canopy will be raised and lowered by a linear actuator. These will guide and help with the up and down of the canopy. Truth be told I got this from a youtube video. A specia
IMG_1931.jpg
IMG_1932.jpg
l shout out to @BornHandy for the great idea and job he did with his build

www.dinkinsaquaticgardens.com

BornHandy

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sunday was much better day in terms of weather. Nice and cool. Sundays tasks were to build a wooden mock up of the tank so that I can measure out the entire height of the build.

The actual tank is be rehabbed. I bought a used 120 and I am redoing the silcone installed a euro brace and now it's been holding water to test the seals. Today I put pumps in to create flow and choas in the tank to continue the test. I am lucky I am able to do this at work rather than home.

These pic show the rails I built for the canopy. The canopy will be raised and lowered by a linear actuator. These will guide and help with the up and down of the canopy. Truth be told I got this from a youtube video. A speciaView attachment 1408431View attachment 1408432l shout out to @BornHandy for the great idea and job he did with his build
That is awesome! I had hoped someone else would try these. Mine still work great! ...and thanks for the shout out.

Here is the video if anyone else wants to have a look.

OP
OP
nept2n

nept2n

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here is this weekends progress report. Not as much as I wanted to get done but slow and steady. I started to stain the stand a color that my wife would like to see in the sitting area. My 2 year old grand daughter has been using the interior of the stand as her personal play area and her doll house. I hope that once this is up and running she doesn't decide to want to jump into the sump. LOL ;)
IMG_2018.jpg

above and below pic are of the staining in process. Big difference once it's stained.
IMG_2019.jpg

IMG_2019.jpg
IMG_2020.jpg

So Saturday went well I was able to finish staining and applying the first coat of sealant. I applied coats 2 and 3 on Sunday and while I that dried I worked on the other things.

Below is the cooling and venting. I installed these fans on the top of the canopy rather than on the inside. It will be easier to service them and or change them if needed. The two with the longest separation are extracting and the two closer are blowing air in. These will be programed to go on by Apex in the event that the temperature exceeds a set point. These fans are in addition to the gap at the top which will allow for venting and evaporation.

IMG_2021.jpg
IMG_2022.jpg

Inside the "metro dome" wow can you tell my age or what?:cool: In the pic above you can see the track that I put for my LED lighting. The track will allow me to move the lights as I need them. Below is the inside of the canopy, ok so I'm not the greatest painter but it works. All of the wood is sealed so it will stand up to the humidity.

After watching countless hours of BRSTv on my off time from building stand and canopy I decided to go SPS all the way so I added T5 Lighting in the canopy to cover the tank in a blanket of light. So it will help any shadows when I start with corals. I still need to add two more T5 lights for a total o 4 lights.
IMG_2024.jpg

I know this has been kind of long winded update but this is the last promise!! :D Last pic, can't see much but a black spot but that's the transfer point for all the cables and tubes. It is actually a rubber grommet.

IMG_2025.jpg

Hope you like the updates. Next week is the electrical in the house. Hopefully I can finish this in one day and I can get the stand inside to start putting in the equipment. Until the next time. :cool:

OP
OP
nept2n

nept2n

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here is this weekends update.... I just love long weekends ;)

Saturday - Electrical work

So, the wife took advantage that I need to run new electrical for the tank and wanted an additional circuit for her make up area. No happy about it because I have two story house and our room is on the second floor and at the furthest distance from the panel. How many have had this or something similar happen? I hope I am not alone in this. o_O

I ran two separate lines for the tank on Saturday. One regular 20A and on to my transfer panel for the back generator. Lessons learned from the last hurricane.
IMG_2066.jpg
IMG_2067.jpg

Top Shelf Aquatics
OP
OP
nept2n

nept2n

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A little History recap - I Downsized, my wife finally convinced me to get rid of my 300 gallon system which took up an entire wall which she hated. The tank was over 7 feet long and the wall measured 6.75 feet, so the tank always longer than the wall. I agreed to give her the wall back even painted it the color she wanted provided I can have a smaller wall near that one. She agreed. How many of you have lost similar arguments? ;)

Fast Forward to this past Sunday - with the stand finished it was time to get it into place where it will be setup. I had my stepson help me get it into the house from the backyard. First indication that I would have problems was having the stand not fit the the sliding glass door in the back of the house. I had to take one door off to get it in. :( I wasn't expecting to have to do this.

I measured the area where the stand would go and ended up having to modify it so that it would be a closer fit to the wall. This tank has a lot of heavy trim work wish got added at the end due to my wife's input.

The back wall where the tank was going measures 51 inches from the corner to the window edge. The other wall which makes the L measures 32 inches. The tank stand was too big for the wall and looked horrible. :mad: Horrified I got depressed, walked away and went upstairs.

My wife saw the look on my face and asked what happened? I told her that I knew how much she hated me have a tank in the house and that her wish has come true. I won't be able to have a tank again. She said, "You didn't answer my question!"

Ouch!!! I could tell this was going to be a fun conversation. I told her let me show you rather than tell you. I took her downstairs and the first thing she says, it looks horrible!! - the color doesn't match the wall. :rolleyes: Huh????

After that remark she says I see what you mean. And then she floored me by saying Honey you spent to much time and money into building this I am not going to let it go to waste.... What????;Blackeye;Blackeye;Blackeye take the long wall back...... :confused::confused:

I didn't argue one bit. I graciously accepted and moved on. Boy I'll tell you I didn't expect that. I don't know how many of you are luck to have a supporting partner that shares the love of this hobby but mine has never like any type of pets> I don't know if she is coming around to this or if she setting me up for something else?

What do you think?

Top Shelf Aquatics
OP
OP
nept2n

nept2n

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Monday work - after having my wife gift me back the wall I had to modify the stand as I built it with an unfinished side, the side which was going up against the wall.

I took this pic off the nest cam, this is the wall where the tank will now go
tank wall.jpg

Alright so confession time. I couldn't be happier that my wife gave me back this wall.:D This is going to allow me to automate quite a number of things since behind the wall is the laundry room, aka my dream fish that went up in smoke. In the laundry room I have my BRS water filtration system and access to the drain for direct plumbing.

IMG_2084.jpg

I started to place the equipment inside the stand. To the far right (black top) is the reservoir for my auto water changes system. 20 gallon a week water change. My Kalkwasser container for dosing (in the front right). My sump is an Icecap 30 it comes with 5 gallon freshwater built in area which I will connect directly to the water filter. So plumbed to the wall interior and through it will be the connection for the makeup water the connection for the old saltwater discharge when changing the water and for the skimmer cup drain. :cool: yup I'll never have to empty out the collection just remove to clean every now and then.

OP
OP
nept2n

nept2n

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not a big update but I am starting to do some things during the week and not just weekends. So I modified the standard stock 120. I removed the top brace and went Euro and I redid the silicone in the entire tank. This happened at the beginning of January. I've had this at my job curing and water testing. Had it filled with water and siting for a week hoping for no leaks ;Nailbiting. No leaks after that week. Weeks 2-4 added a couple of pumps and power heads to great turbulence.

IMG_1839.jpg

I am by no means an expert or know how to build a tank so I had this at work in the pool pump room just in case the seams did hold or this thing burst. Better in that room that is equipped to handle water than my home. Well a month with water and no leaks, no bows in the glass, so I took her home and put her in place.

IMG_2101.jpg

OP
OP
nept2n

nept2n

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey everyone. Sorry I haven't posted any updates. My mom is coming for a visit and my wife has me on project mode to get the house ready. She has come down in about 10 years.

I did get a little work on the plumbing for the auto water changes and to automate collection cup waste. I'll post a picture of that tomorrow.

www.dinkinsaquaticgardens.com
OP
OP
nept2n

nept2n

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry I haven't updated the build. I've been busy with other projects. I have worked a little on the glass tank. When I bought the tank it was filthy full of old coraline dead algae so I didn't see how bad the glass was scratched until I got it cleaned. I also found a lot of hard water stains on the glass. After tons of research I found this product was recommended for light scratch removal.
IMG_2140.jpg

This product is great for polishing but not very good at light scratch removal. It did a fantastic job a remove the hard water stains on the glass.
IMG_2136.jpg

These are pics of the stains on the glass. I'm not sure if you can see them clearly. I know that in water they disappear but it bothers me to know that they are there.
IMG_2137.jpg
IMG_2138.jpg
IMG_2139.jpg

Here is what the glass is starting to look like after the polish. Looking much better but still has a lot of scratches, some deep ones too. It almost looks like the had a lizard or iguana in the tank.
IMG_2141.jpg
IMG_2142.jpg

OP
OP
nept2n

nept2n

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok I think I am a little obsessive about how things turn out. I know that a used tank will never look like its new but can it? I couldn't resist and continued to search watch video on Youtube on how to remove scratches from glass. Boy let me tell you that there are a lot of half baked ideas out there. I found a company that sold a glass repair kit (glass polishing shop) thru Amazon so I ordered it and gave it a try. It had very small pads which was fine to test the product. There product worked great on light scratches but not deep ones. So I got the box it came in and found their website. I took a stroll on the net and found that they sold pads designed for deep scratches and the sold larger sized ones too. The kit came in with a 2" pad so I ordered 5" ones in course, medium and fine. I also ordered the buffing pads in 5". Can't wait to test it.

AquaCave

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%

Back