Dottybacks and Clams.... bad or good....

Nutramar

TopClamSkoo

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey fellas.

****POSTED THIS ON SOCALI REEF FORUMS BUT DIDNT GET MUCH ACTION. I FIGURE I TRY HERE.

Just have an old story to tell more than 10 years ago and had a question..

Had a neon dottyback in my nano way long ago.

He was the only one in the tank. Didn't dare mix him in my other sps dominant tank since I had peaceful fish. Too bad the dottyback only lived for 6 months.. came home one day after work and saw his head stuck in a hole of a rock.. he wasn't moving. At first I thought he died and got caught by a crab but when I went to pull him out, he started to move around.. I panicked and tried my best to delicately remove him but when I pulled him out his jaw got dislocated and his head kinda got crushed.. no rips or tears on his flesh so I know it wasn't a crab or a deadly mantis.. the fool was probably trying to eat a worm and got his head stuck in a hole.. sucks. He was an awesome fish! So intelligent and fun to watch..

Fast forward til now.. I'm thinking about getting another one in my nano once I set it up.. however I'm hesitant because I noticed when I did have one in the past.. the fish would terrorize my nasurus snails and other clean up crew.. he even would nip at my serpent star. Luckily he never killed anything..

Question is... I do want to get a maxima claim in my nano. And mostly zoa's and maybe one euhpyllia. But after witnessing these fish nip at my snails and other cleanup members... I wonder if these guys would go after clams and nip at their mantle..
I googled like hell to see if anyone has this problem and I can't seem to find any info. So I figured I ask u guys..

GOOD IDEA? OR BAD IDEA? HAHAHHHAA!
Dottybacks are so cool. I love them even though they cause trouble.. I just love their personalities but I love clams more so I hope I can keep both..
Please note, when I did have a neon dottyback in my nano long ago.. I only had zoa's and 1 alveopora but never had it cohabitate with a clam.. I'm thinking it'll be okay since it went after snails and a star that displayed a lot of movement.
But still wanna be safe and ask what u guys think.

BTW the Nano I'm setting up is a 10 gallon but please understand I have raised a maxima in a 12 gallon nano for several years in the past until I transferred it into my 80 gallon sps dominant tank, which ran for about couple years until I got out of the hobby because of a major life change...

Thanks in advance fellas!

Last edited by a moderator:
CLICK TO VIEW

AydenLincoln

Pufferfish and starfish lover!
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I love dottybacks too it’s deciding because they look so cute and innocent. Though they are known to be mean they are reef safe and shouldn’t bother a clam. They are like people lol sometimes they fight like cats and dogs and sometimes it’s peaceful. Just know they hide in teeny tiny holes and try not to remove the rock without looking first sadly I made that mistake before. Also I recommend an Orchid Dottyback which is known to be less aggressive.

OP
OP
TopClamSkoo

TopClamSkoo

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I love dottybacks too it’s deciding because they look so cute and innocent. Though they are known to be mean they are reef safe and shouldn’t bother a clam. They are like people lol sometimes they fight like cats and dogs and sometimes it’s peaceful. Just know they hide in teeny tiny holes and try not to remove the rock without looking first sadly I made that mistake before. Also I recommend an Orchid Dottyback which is known to be less aggressive.
Thanks! Ayden

Orchids are def beautiful.. never had one yet. only a neon.

I just concerned because they can be so unpredictable... I did see my neon dottyback pick on my snails so I hope it doesn't get curious when the clam moves because I can totally see it getting interested and nipping at it..

Avast
OP
OP
TopClamSkoo

TopClamSkoo

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes I’m a fan of the orchid dottyback aka fridmani. Also the springeri. Should not bother the clam or zoas
have you had problems with either spreading sand on clams or corals?

My last tank (25 gallon lps ) I had a indigo dottyback... fished him out and took him back to the store after it started to spread sand all over my corals and rocks..

My Neon Dottyback on the other hand... no problems with burrowing.

HudsonReefer2.0

Algae Happens
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
have you had problems with either spreading sand on clams or corals?

My last tank (25 gallon lps ) I had a indigo dottyback... fished him out and took him back to the store after it started to spread sand all over my corals and rocks..

My Neon Dottyback on the other hand... no problems with burrowing.
No Nvr had that type of behavior w either

Fishnut

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got a couple of 1” captive bred Orchids in a 20 gallon with a clam and snails without any issues. Never seen them spit sand on corals, but they do burrow under rocks to make homes.

OP
OP
TopClamSkoo

TopClamSkoo

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got a couple of 1” captive bred Orchids in a 20 gallon with a clam and snails without any issues. Never seen them spit sand on corals, but they do burrow under rocks to make homes.
Awesome.. that's what I want to hear! I guess I'll get one with a clam! :)
Tha k you

HudsonReefer2.0

Algae Happens
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yup. It'll be the only fish.
U will b fine esp w a captive bred orchid. Make sure it’s a fridmani and not a purple. Two different fish people sometimes mix up and later regret

Avast
Nutramar

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%
Queen City Corals
Back