+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,

I started dosing Kalk 3 days ago because I wanted to boost my PH. I currently use a recirculating co2 scrubber and dose all-for-reef.

I used a 52 gallon brute trash can, filled with rodi and 1.5 cups of BRS Kalk. Mixed for an hour using powerhead. I am dosing 3500 ml using Neptune DOS. My tank is about 150 gallon (water

Any idea or advice what I am doing wrong?

1682597730888.png

1682597760731.png

www.dinkinsaquaticgardens.com

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You really didn't add very much.

Crudely estimated, you didn't add more than about 0.5 dKH per day.

Adding that all at once would have boosted pH by about 0.25 pH units, but spread out over a day, it amounts to far less since the tank can keep pulling in CO2 to offset any pH boost.

If you can add more without exceeding your evaporation limit and alk needs, doing so would help give a bigger boost.

AquaCave Logo Banner
OP
OP
A

aquatic_dad

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you very much.

I calculated my evaporation to about a gallon per day, that’s why I did 3,500ml. What would be the next best thing to boost PH? Add the 3,500ml over a shorter period of time? Currently dosing from 6p to 9a (during my low PH period).

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you very much.

I calculated my evaporation to about a gallon per day, that’s why I did 3,500ml. What would be the next best thing to boost PH? Add the 3,500ml over a shorter period of time? Currently dosing from 6p to 9a (during my low PH period).

You can replace all alk needs with hydroxide regardless of evaporation if you use sodium hydroxide, preferably as part of a DIY two part that also uses calcium chloride and Balling Part C. :)

OP
OP
A

aquatic_dad

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can replace all alk needs with hydroxide regardless of evaporation if you use sodium hydroxide, preferably as part of a DIY two part that also uses calcium chloride and Balling Part C. :)
Thank you. I have a kind of hybrid set up using All for reef, triton supplements based on triton ICP test. I started dosing Kalk because I want to raise PH from 7.8-8.1 to above 8. I have a large Refugium with a 10 gallon external Refugium and can’t counter Co2 in the house.

Yesterday I added 0.5 cup of Kalk to the reservoir and shorten the dosing period to 6 hours. I was able to see the rise in PH by about .08. My co2 media needs replacement though. Just replaced it this morning. Will monitor over the next couple of days and provide an update.

thank you for your help.

BRS

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%
Tunze
Back