Review score
+1 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I need some assistance on getting my dosing accurate for my reef aquarium. I've been struggling keeping my alkalinity at 8.5. Every time I think I have it locked in, my numbers tend to drop. Even when I make minor adjustments, the all will climb to 9.0. Make another adjustment, and it will drop slowly, but continue to drop past 8.5. So I tried a test that my LFS recommended. Turn off my DOS for 24 hours, then test after the 24 hour period. Run the Seachem Dose Calculator and use that amount to set for my DOS. The problem is, my alkalinity dropped from 8.3 to 7.4. When you enter that into the calculator it wanted me to dose over 100ml per day. That's almost double what I typically dose. My Trident is almost always inaccurate, so I have been using the Hanna checker. Now I'm not confident my results are accurate with that either. I have some really nice Acros, so I really would like to get a handle on this.

Any suggestions?

www.dinkinsaquaticgardens.com

doubleshot00

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is your PH dropping under 8 then goes up during the day? I noticed if my PH goes below 8.1 my alk number goes up. Now if my PH stays steady at 8.2-8.5 my alk drops fast and i have to dose more.

Also check your dosing lines and make sure its dosing accurately and it doesn't sputter. I had that issue for a few weeks.

BRS
OP
OP
Glott3133

Glott3133

Review score
+1 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My PH does drop overnight to about 8.0 then rises to almost 8.4 during the day. I've tried dosing more during the day, and less overnight, but still trying to determine what's going to keep my alk stable. What is a reasonable amount alkalinity can swing at any time?

doubleshot00

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My PH does drop overnight to about 8.0 then rises to almost 8.4 during the day. I've tried dosing more during the day, and less overnight, but still trying to determine what's going to keep my alk stable. What is a reasonable amount alkalinity can swing at any time?
That seems normal. Check your dosing lines.

I'm no expert but it seems when i get my alk dialed (lets say stable for a month to 6 weeks) the coals just start soaking it up more. Then i have to dial it back in (takes a few days).

SPS will eat alk. After i added large acros to my tank my alk went consumption went way up.

Top Shelf Aquatics
BRS

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%
AVAST
Back