Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yet another lesson learned recently: do NOT, I repeat, DO NOT try to save money by buying a regular trash can for mixing salt water if you're mixing more than 5 gallons. Do yourself a favor and get the Brute can. I have one but needed a 2nd because I was needing to mix 60 gallons for my new tank this past weekend. Thought I'd just pick up the regular old generic 32 gallon can from Home Depot instead of paying $40 for the Brute. As soon as it was full, it sprung two leaks and flooded my kitchen and half my living room (bamboo floors) with RO water. Had to bail as much out as fast as possible with a 5 gal bucket while my husband tried plugging the holes with his fingers. It started splitting and we were extremely lucky it didn't just bust and dump 30 gallons of water onto the floor before I could get most of the water out. Took every towel in our house and two rolls of paper towels to clean up the mess. Husband is not pleased because he already dislikes the tank in general.
Needless to say, had to go out and buy the Brute can (and buy more water) which if I'd done the first time, would have saved all the trouble. :rolleyes:

I did learn a good tip though - doggy pee pads work GREAT in a pinch if you need to soak up a bunch of water. :rolling-on-the-floor-laughing: (Never thought I'd be glad that our 11 year old mini dachshund refuses to pee outside the second it drops below 60 degrees out and we have to put pads down for her, but boy was I happy to have them on hand this past weekend!)

AquaCave Logo Banner

mdb_talon

2500 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh geesh sorry to hear that. However I must say I chuckled at the visual of you trying to bail water out as your husband plugs holes with his fingers. I can imagine that happening in my house AND I would have been cussing up a storm!

OP
OP
Sink_or_Swim

Sink_or_Swim

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh geesh sorry to hear that. However I must say I chuckled at the visual of you trying to bail water out as your husband plugs holes with his fingers. I can imagine that happening in my house AND I would have been cussing up a storm!
Chuckle away - it probably was quite the entertaining sight, lol. When I stuck the bucket in there he started hollering it was making the water come out faster. There was plenty of cussing going on (and praying the can would hold, lol).

OP
OP
Sink_or_Swim

Sink_or_Swim

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can’t relate but good tip. I’ve only used brutes but I’ve never heard of anyone using off brand of them soo yea. Definitely good to know
I see why, lol. Honestly when I think about it, I never should have trusted anything off brand to hold that much water. I really question where my head is at sometimes. But hey, now I have 2 Brute cans so I'm all good! :rolling-on-the-floor-laughing:

Top Shelf Aquatics

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%
RC
Back