Does tap water kill marine ich if left there for a few days?

BRS

Makubex

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Im talking about it hot or very very cold, would it kill it? I m adding my crushed coral that had ich but was treated with copper and the tank was wiped dry, therefore the crushed coral has no beneficial bacteria or ich because of copper, im thinking there might be eggs but would hot or cold tapwater kill them? Yes im starting the cycle from scratch with the help of biospira

CLICK TO VIEW

bushdoc

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cryptocaryon irritans AKA Marine Ich will not survive prolonged immersion in freshwater, regardless of temperature.
BTW-Copper will survive dip in freshwater, your crushed coral is loaded with copper and it will slowly release it into your tank. Level might be too low to effect fish, but inverts will most probably not survive.
I would say Adios to your crushed coral and get new rock.

OP
OP
M

Makubex

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cryptocaryon irritans AKA Marine Ich will not survive prolonged immersion in freshwater, regardless of temperature.
BTW-Copper will survive dip in freshwater, your crushed coral is loaded with copper and it will slowly release it into your tank. Level might be too low to effect fish, but inverts will most probably not survive.
I would say Adios to your crushed coral and get new rock.
Would those copper levels kill the beneficial bacteria? Or over time? The crushed coral will be left to DRY then it will be dumped in the 125, AFTER that it will be filled with freshwater and left like that for a few days, but EVEN that that wont get rid of the copper right? Are there any products I can buy that will get rid of the copper once it starts to rise again?

BRS

bushdoc

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Would those copper levels kill the beneficial bacteria? Or over time? The crushed coral will be left to DRY then it will be dumped in the 125, AFTER that it will be filled with freshwater and left like that for a few days, but EVEN that that wont get rid of the copper right? Are there any products I can buy that will get rid of the copper once it starts to rise again?
Low level of copper will not substantially effect nitrifying bacteria. I am not aware of any products which can bind copper to inactive form.
With FOWLR you should be safe, but that means NO snails, shrimps and other inverts, not only corals.

davidcalgary29

2500 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Low level of copper will not substantially effect nitrifying bacteria. I am not aware of any products which can bind copper to inactive form.
With FOWLR you should be safe, but that means NO snails, shrimps and other inverts, not only corals.
Remember, though, that a number of people have used Cuprisorb successfully after having dosed their display with copper. Still not at all recommended, though.

MinnieMouse2

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Best crushed coral bottom is from a feed store sold to give calcium to chickens. Tractor Supply sells large bags of this. Very cheap. Hope you just threw out the copper exposed stuff.

Top Shelf Aquatics
BRS

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%
Reef Brite the professionals choice
Back