Does my torch look like there something wrong with it? What are those creases/lines?

BRS

Zach62727

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
078A1C02-A1CF-48D1-A5F5-91B613F2F06B.jpeg

www.dinkinsaquaticgardens.com

Ben.QLD2

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It looks fine, just a little under inflated in that photo. Do the polyps ever expand further?

It should look like there is some rigidity, not like limp spaghetti all the time. If it is always limp then check parameters, water flow and light intensity.

OP
OP
Z

Zach62727

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It looks fine, just a little under inflated in that photo. Do the polyps ever expand further?

It should look like there is some rigidity, not like limp spaghetti all the time. If it is always limp then check parameters, water flow and light intensity.
They don’t expand much further than that no. Just checked the water parameters the other day and everything is fine. Is there a way to check my light intensity without renting a Parmeter.

Top Shelf Aquatics
www.dinkinsaquaticgardens.com
Avast
OP
OP
Z

Zach62727

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As said before it doesn't look bad just not fully extended. Your light shouldn't be too bright so all I can think of is play with flow if everything else is in order.
OK, I know they like medium to high flow. So I put them right underneath the return pumps. I don’t currently have any power heads in the tank. Is that something I should get for them?

OP
OP
Z

Zach62727

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm not familiar with the stats of that light, would you please post them? What are the dimensions of your tank and how deep is the torch located?
The dimensions of the tank is 20 inches height, 15 inches deep, and 36 inches long. The torch is located 7 inches from the light. At that distance, it should be getting around par of 140 to 180.

Top Shelf Aquatics

Pridedcloth3

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OK, I know they like medium to high flow. So I put them right underneath the return pumps. I don’t currently have any power heads in the tank. Is that something I should get for them?
Yeah you should. Unless you have monster return pumps that can blast it pretty good. Basically mine is opposite corner of a nero3 set to 85% in a 45 gallon cube. Whenever flow drops it starts closing

Ben.QLD2

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OK, would it stress the torch to not have enough flow?
Definitely. Water flow transports everything corals need, including oxygen and metabolic nutrients. Inadequate flow means they're not getting enough. You don't want the polyps getting torn about, just adequate movement to move them around, preferably with changing flow. A vortech mp40 would be more than enough for your tank.

Nutramar Foods
BRS

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%

Your Reef
Back