Does GFO have to slowly tumble?

AetherealKnight

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I recently installed a BRS GFO reactor in my sump since my phosphates were beginning to rise, but I can't seem to get my GFO to tumble. I understand that it needs to slowly stumble so it can avoid clumping together. But it should still work even if it is clumped together to remove phosphate albeit with much lower efficiency, right? Or should I pack GFO with phosgaurd and carbon if I can't get it to tumble?

KrisReef

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don’t think it needs to tumble to work.

I would not use it with phosgard, I would monitor P and replace the gfo with new if the p starts to rise.

After I got frustrated with the unpredictability of gfo and phosgard I started using Lanthanum chloride because it was easier to control.

A fluidized bed reactor is supposed to be a good tool but I never could get gfo to tumble in one?

Formulator

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If it doesn’t tumble you are just throwing away money and will be changing media often. It sound like you need a better pump or have it packed too full in the reactor. Could you share a photo of the reactor and water coming out?

Don’t fear the reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If it doesn’t tumble you are just throwing away money and will be changing media often. It sound like you need a better pump or have it packed too full in the reactor. Could you share a photo of the reactor and water coming out?
Right - the PO4 can only bind to the surface of the GFO granule. So if the GFO is not turning over, then the exposed, outer surfaces will get saturated quickly and most of the rest will be wasted because it doesn’t ever make contact with the PO4.

TOP 10 Trending Threads

HAVE YOU EVER KEPT A RARE/UNCOMMON FISH, CORAL, OR INVERT? SHOW IT OFF IN THE THREAD!

• Yes!

Votes: 32 45.7%
  • Not yet, but I have one that I want to buy in mind!

Votes: 9 12.9%
  • No.

Votes: 26 37.1%
  • Other (please explain).

Votes: 3 4.3%
Back