Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello knowledgeable ones. I'm reading conflicting information as to whether GAC has the ability to remove proteins from saltwater. I realize it's not meant to take the place of a protein skimmer.

The only things I've read that might indicate the answer, is that protein skimmers remove larger molecules that charcoal does not. I've also read that charcoal removes "organic" material.

Thoughts? Thanks in advance.

Nutramar Foods

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Proteins are not a single thing. They vary widely in size, shape, and chemical composition. Some will bind to GAC, perhaps most, but not all.

Protein skimmers are also misnamed, IMO, They remove many types of things, including many but not all proteins.

The larger molecule thing is not accurate.

Proteins are one of many types of organic molecules.

Top Shelf Aquatics

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OP
OP
Dave Clark

Dave Clark

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Proteins are not a single thing. They vary widely in size, shape, and chemical composition. Some will bind to GAC, perhaps most, but not all.

Protein skimmers are also misnamed, IMO, They remove many types of things, including many but not all proteins.

The larger molecule thing is not accurate.

Proteins are one of many types of organic molecules.

Thank you. Understanding that the two remove different substances ... if one chose to not have a skimmer, would you advise using GAC to remove some substances that would have been removed by the skimmer?

AquaCave Logo Banner

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you. Understanding that the two remove different substances ... if one chose to not have a skimmer, would you advise using GAC to remove some substances that would have been removed by the skimmer?
Yes. You lose the aeration aspects, and perhaps less whole bacteria export, but GAC is a good organic export method.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have ... although I've found articles from the manufacturer Seachem that state that it removes proteins, I haven't found any other articles citing lab tests that back up that claim.

It will. Almost any polymer material will bind some proteins in seawater. My job as a chemist has been to make and study polymers to bind things for 40 years, so this is not some random comment.

Purigen and GAC will remove somewhat different subsets of total organics, but both will remove organics, including some proteins.

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%
Tunze
Back