Does Flow help with Aiptaisia on sand bed ?

DarkTonio

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,
I have a 50g tank with a sand bed. Yesterday I realized that behind my rock scape, where the flow is pretty low, there are loads of aptaisia growing on the sand bed (some already on the back of the rocks)!

In order to control this infestation, I am planning to remove the upper layer of the sand by sucking it in a bucket, clean it and put it back afterwards.

My question is the following: would it help controlling the Aiptaisia spread at the back of my tank with an increase of the flow with a small wave maker like AI nero3 blowing just above the sand bed ?

Thanks !

Top Shelf Aquatics

steveschuerger

Corals Admittedly Goni and Torch/Frogspawn nut
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Afraid not. The only things that can “control” aiptasia is either to get a predator like peppermint shrimp/aiptasia eating filefish or do it manually with aiptasia x , kalkwasser treatment, lemon juice or even use superglue to smother them. They won’t be affected by flow at all negatively.

SamsReef

Valuable Member
Review score
+4 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+4 /0 /-0
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Flow will not deter aiptasia. If you have loads of aiptasia but all together, I would suggest taking the rock out, cutting the portion out or drying it out in the winter. if the infestation is everywhere, then you need a natural predator.

Copperband took care for me and since then has been the MVF(most valuable fish) for me. One other natural predator that has worked in the past for me is Aiptasia peppermint. If you have e large wrasses in the tank, shrimp option will not be viable.

Sam

BRS

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%
Reef Diaper
Back