Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would like to document a force feeding procedure I've been doing the last week that I believe saved my mandarin fish at least for the last days.

So I know Dragonets do not handle well copper, but we have a documented protocol in Brazil with low levels of copper (0.2mg/L) together with TTM that I was doing for this fish. I know it did not handle well and completely stopped eating and became very hypoactive. On the 2nd day of QT I already removed the fish to a new small recipient without copper, but it was already pretty late. This is just an introduction of the problem, my intentions are not really to discuss if this was a good decision or not, because I know now it wasn't.

What I would like to document here is the fact that this fish got extremely malnourished and on the 5th day I found it laying upside down, nearly breathing, to the point where I believed there would be no hope at all.

This is how the fish was at that moment:
Arquivo_000(3).png

So I decided to try force feeding as an emergency and last time resource.

To my surprise, the fish survived and is still surviving for 5 days, and I've been enteral feeding it twice a day.

IMG_8174.jpg

It is still very hypoactive and not actively feeding, but I'm pretty amazed this could be done with such a small fish. So for this reason I decided to document what is going on. Pleas keep in mind that I'm not recommending people to try this, but it is not impossible. I'm kinda trained with small living things being a neurosurgeon, but I think just a skilled and meticulous aquarist would be capable of doing this in an emergency situation.

So this is what I used to make an aqueous solution to feed the fish:
- copepods
- fish eggs
- SPS food
- Water
- fish food enrichment (Fauna Marin's Food Energizer)

Arquivo_000(1).png

This is what I use to administer this:
- 0.3mL or 1mL syringe
- Jelco IV catheters (number 24 and number 20)
- a Petri dish partially filled with tank water
- a bed of soft silicon to better place the fish

Arquivo_000(2).png

This is me force feeding (enteral feeding) the fish:

Arquivo_000.png

This is me showing this procedure on my YT chanel:

I'll keep updates on the following days.

Last edited:
AquaCave Logo Banner

ying yang

2500 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very cool

Thanks for sharing and shows you care for your fish.
I would be scared I rupture its windpipe/ stomach of something but if fish near to death I would probably try,or would like to think I would .

Good luck with your fish

Nutramar Foods

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would like to document a force feeding procedure I've been doing the last week that I believe saved my mandarin fish at least for the last days.

So I know Dragonets do not handle well copper, but we have a documented protocol in Brazil with low levels of copper (0.2mg/L) together with TTM that I was doing for this fish. I know it did not handle well and completely stopped eating and became very hypoactive. On the 2nd day of QT I already removed the fish to a new small recipient without copper, but it was already pretty late. This is just an introduction of the problem, my intentions are not really to discuss if this was a good decision or not, because I know now it wasn't.

What I would like to document here is the fact that this fish got extremely malnourished and on the 5th day I found it laying upside down, nearly breathing, to the point where I believed there would be no hope at all.

View attachment 2663560

To my surprise, the fish survived and is still surviving for 5 days, and I've been enteral feeding it twice a day.

View attachment 2663559

It is still very hypoactive and not actively feeding, but I'm pretty amazed this could be done with such a small fish. So for this reason I decided to document what is going on. Pleas keep in mind that I'm not recommending people to try this, but it is not impossible. I'm kinda trained with small living things being a neurosurgeon, but I think just a skilled and meticulous aquarist would be capable of doing this in an emergency situation.

- copepods
- fish eggs
- SPS food
- Water

View attachment 2663543

- 0.3mL or 1mL syringe
- Jelco IV catheters (number 22 and number 18)

View attachment 2663544

View attachment 2663545

Cool. I've tube-fed hundreds of fish, but never tried it on a Mandarin. The smallest I ever did was a baby pinnatus batfish. In that case, the continued handling ended up causing damage that the fish couldn't overcome, but it actually began to grow while being tube-fed.

Jay

MnFish1

10K Club member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

View attachment 2663560

View attachment 2663559

- copepods
- fish eggs
- SPS food
- Water

View attachment 2663543

- 0.3mL or 1mL syringe

View attachment 2663544

View attachment 2663545

interesting!

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

View attachment 2663560

View attachment 2663559

- copepods
- fish eggs
- SPS food
- Water

View attachment 2663543

- 0.3mL or 1mL syringe

View attachment 2663544

View attachment 2663545

I had forgotten I had posted this article here:

Jay

www.dinkinsaquaticgardens.com
OP
OP
Reef and Dive

Reef and Dive

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%
AF
Back