Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Long story short, I finished quarantining all of the fish that I wanted for my tank and have no use of my quarantine tank anymore. I kinda want to take it down to make more space, but I feel like it's such a waste to take down a tank that's already cycled, but I don't really have any use of it. Do you keep your quarantine tanks running? Or do you take it down after you've finished quarantining

Ben.QLD2

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I shut my QT down completely after adding the last fish to my DT. It's not fully dry in my shed but can be quickly set up for a hospital tank if needed.

If I need to use it as a QT again in tge future then I'll have plenty of time, the need for it won't sneak up on me.

Worse case scenario is you're a mass murderer of billions of bacteria.

Nutramar Foods
OP
OP
C

CLYRIC

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I shut my QT down completely after adding the last fish to my DT. It's not fully dry in my shed but can be quickly set up for a hospital tank if needed.

If I need to use it as a QT again in tge future then I'll have plenty of time, the need for it won't sneak up on me.

Where do you put your sponges/media with the bacteria on it? Or do you just throw it away?

Top Shelf Aquatics

Reef Psychology

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I told myself I'd break down my QT after six weeks..... That was a year ago and it's still running. It has become a frag tank that seems to be growing algae more than corals. I've re-homed and moved corals into my main tanks and will be shutting it down by the end of the week. I'll move 30% of the media into a sump just in case I need to setup the QT again. The tank will be cleaned and let sit in the garage along with the Kessil lights, Fluval filter, heater and HOB AquaMaxx skimmer.

www.dinkinsaquaticgardens.com

gbroadbridge

2500 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Long story short, I finished quarantining all of the fish that I wanted for my tank and have no use of my quarantine tank anymore. I kinda want to take it down to make more space, but I feel like it's such a waste to take down a tank that's already cycled, but I don't really have any use of it. Do you keep your quarantine tanks running? Or do you take it down after you've finished quarantining
I keep a couple of pieces of filter floss in my DT sump all the time, so I can set up a QT in an hour or so.

I shut down and sterilise as soon as it is not needed. Cover in plastic to keep clean.

lynn.reef.nerd

Review score
+4 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+4 /0 /-0
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
I keep my coral QT running because they are harder to get set back up especially well enough to sustain acros.

Fish QT I shut down and completely clean every time. I keep media in the main display and use the media from that every time.

Top Shelf Aquatics

Indymann99

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I shut down and clean. I also keep PVC in the sump so can start up QT in 5days or so If needed.

1679448575427.jpeg

1679448650748.jpeg

Top Shelf Aquatics

John Bolden

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Bacteria have right's too ya know!

sc50964

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The advantage of having a running QT free of any meds is that it’s always ready to take on new fish without the concern of ammonia issue and ready for either copper or prazi.

the problem with that is its bio filter being so strong that make any anti bacterial meds useless after a couple of hours in.

ca1ore

10K Club member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I see no good reason to keep a QT running continuously. Even if I was expecting to purchase a new batch of fish I’d fully clean the QT system first anyhow. Just keep a bag of bio media in the sump of your main tank - instant bio filter for the QT.

BRS

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%

UniqueCorals.com shop rare & farmed corls
Back