Do you have a lazy fish/invert? If so which ones(s) and why?

BRS

Do you have a lazy fish/invert/other?

• Total voters

Karen00

2500 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've seen a lot of threads talking about the hard working fish/inverts we have in our tanks but the spotlight never shines on the lazier, less ambitious members of the tank community. I thought about this because I have acquired one of these members of the ocean. He is a Spotted Coral Croucher. His name is Waldo. Waldo has made his home between the glass and the back of one of my powerheads just below the surface. I already new these guys don't move much. They're shy and cryptic and unless there is a lot of live food that passes by their mouths they need to be target fed. That's fine. I target feed all of my inhabitants regardless. Everyone in the tank knows when the pumps shut down it's feeding time and everyone eagerly gets ready for the buffet. I feed with a medicine dropper so I usually squirt out food a few mm away and the intended recipient moves to the food... but not Waldo (did I say the food is only a couple mm away?). Waldo will not move even a couple mm to get food. What does Waldo do when the pumps go off? He orients himself facing upward and opens his mouth and waits for me to literally squirt food in his mouth. Moving a couple mm for food doesn't happen in Waldo's world (but I still love him anyway). :)

Tell me about yours. Maybe you bought them for a specific task that they haven't lived up to. Can be fish, inverts or whatever.

@blaxsun I saw a comment of yours from Nov. 2021 in a thread that talked about hard working fish and your reply was that the next thread should be about lazy fish. I couldn't find one so this thread is for you. :)

Here is a pic of Waldo just after adding him before he found the powerhead.

20211205_200454_HDR_compress3.jpg

Hoodstream

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My bi-color Blenny just spends all day perching waiting for me to put food in the tank lol. I know these guys are suppose to eat and help maintain algae but I feel like Blenny Bruce just perches all day and sleeps lol. Sometimes he will tweak out and rapidly swim around the tank munching algae as fast as he can then parallel park back into his perch. He got the name Bruce because he spends all on rock cliffs like Batman then spazzes out and beats the hell out of my rock . Waldo looks like a champion.

OP
OP
Karen00

Karen00

2500 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My bi-color Blenny just spends all day perching waiting for me to put food in the tank lol. I know these guys are suppose to eat and help maintain algae but I feel like Blenny Bruce just perches all day and sleeps lol. Sometimes he will tweak out and rapidly swim around the tank munching algae as fast as he can then parallel park back into his perch. He got the name Bruce because he spends all on rock cliffs like Batman then spazzes out and beats the hell out of my rock . Waldo looks like a champion.
That is hilarious! Bruce is an armchair Blenny! I love it! :) Post a pic of Bruce when you can. :) Yes Waldo is a champ... A lazy champ but smart! Haha. He makes me so all the work. I would love it if someone would come along twice a day and put good food in my mouth. I wouldn't have to leave the couch. Haha.

Hoodstream

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That is hilarious! Bruce is an armchair Blenny! I love it! :) Post a pic of Bruce when you can. :) Yes Waldo is a champ... A lazy champ but smart! Haha. He makes me so all the work. I would love it if someone would come along twice a day and put good food in my mouth. I wouldn't have to leave the couch. Haha.
I honestly have wanted a croucher for awhile but can’t find them anywhere I also didn’t know you had to spot feed them. Glad you’re enjoying him though. Here is the only pictures I can capture of Bruce if I get to close he gets scared.

OP
OP
Karen00

Karen00

2500 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I honestly have wanted a croucher for awhile but can’t find them anywhere I also didn’t know you had to spot feed them. Glad you’re enjoying him though. Here is the only pictures I can capture of Bruce if I get to close he gets scared.
It took me forever to get him. Literally searching every reef shop across Canada everyday. I think they mostly sneak in on corals. I don't think they're actively caught. If you have a lot of live food (pods, etc) swimming around then you most likely don't have to target feed them. They'll catch whatever swims by their mouths. I don't have a robust pod population (at least not yet) so he needs to be fed otherwise he would starve to death. Even with pods I would probably still target feed periodically to make sure he gets variety in his diet.

tpirovol

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've seen a lot of threads talking about the hard working fish/inverts we have in our tanks but the spotlight never shines on the lazier, less ambitious members of the tank community. I thought about this because I have acquired one of these members of the ocean. He is a Spotted Coral Croucher. His name is Waldo. Waldo has made his home between the glass and the back of one of my powerheads just below the surface. I already new these guys don't move much. They're shy and cryptic and unless there is a lot of live food that passes by their mouths they need to be target fed. That's fine. I target feed all of my inhabitants regardless. Everyone in the tank knows when the pumps shut down it's feeding time and everyone eagerly gets ready for the buffet. I feed with a medicine dropper so I usually squirt out food a few mm away and the intended recipient moves to the food... but not Waldo (did I say the food is only a couple mm away?). Waldo will not move even a couple mm to get food. What does Waldo do when the pumps go off? He orients himself facing upward and opens his mouth and waits for me to literally squirt food in his mouth. Moving a couple mm for food doesn't happen in Waldo's world (but I still love him anyway). :)

Tell me about yours. Maybe you bought them for a specific task that they haven't lived up to. Can be fish, inverts or whatever.

@blaxsun I saw a comment of yours from Nov. 2021 in a thread that talked about hard working fish and your reply was that the next thread should be about lazy fish. I couldn't find one so this thread is for you. :)

Here is a pic of Waldo just after adding him before he found the powerhead.

View attachment 2593245
What is Waldo ??

HudsonReefer2.0

Algae Happens
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've seen pics of these guys before. What is it? I love these. Those eyes are awesome (and the colour). I take it that's his de facto spot?
Yes. One of his perches. It’s a flame hawk

OP
OP
Karen00

Karen00

2500 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What is Waldo ??
Waldo is a Spotted Coral Croucher. There is another one from a different part of the world called a Pygmy Coral Croucher. They're a solid brown. Both get to about 24mm/1" (maybe a bit bigger). They're very similar to clown/coral gobies in shape but they're not a goby. They're actually a scorpionfish (venom in the dorsal spine). They only use it if they are threatened (like being eaten by another fish). They're very peaceful and very shy. I keep forgetting he's venomous as I go around the tank (feeding/cleaning) with my full arm in the tank. Fortunately where he is I can't accidentally hit him. They also live in coral like the clown gobies in the wild (acros).

mindme

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not really "lazy" but I have 2 clownfish in my 29g anemone tank. The smaller male will never go more than an inch away from the anemone. Not even to chase food. I have to basically hit him in the head with the pellets for him to get food.

The much large female is a good bit the same way. She will however venture out a little bit further for food. But she also never ever leaves the anemone.....unless it's to bite me when I have my hand in the tank. Then she'll travel to the edges of the tank just to nibble on me.

On the bright side, I don't even remotely worry about putting a lid on the tank as they are the only 2 fish in the tank.

HudsonReefer2.0

Algae Happens
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's it. A flame hawk. I thought that was it. Thanks!! Do you have to target feed? My guy would literally starve if I didn't.
The flame hawk? No he’s a pig. Slams the front glass like a dog when I approach. Well all the fish do. Lol

OP
OP
Karen00

Karen00

2500 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The flame hawk? No he’s a pig. Slams the front glass like a dog when I approach. Well all the fish do. Lol
That is hilarious!! What I find funny is a lot of the time I will look at my tank and I won't see anyone (which you would think impossible in a 5g) but when the pumps turn off suddenly everyone appears from nooks and crannies in the rock, etc. Everyone except Waldo but at least I always know where he is. :) So lazy!

Sean Clark

7500 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have one good worker in my tank and that is my Caribbean or Atlantic Blue Tang (Acanthurus coeruleus). Everyone else is spoiled and lazy; including the snails and hermits.

Edit: Sorry pics or it didn't happen...
Screenshot_20220317-183115_Photos.jpg

OP
OP
Karen00

Karen00

2500 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Where’s Waldo. Cool fish. Always wanted a croucher
LOL. That is exactly why I gave him that name. The first few days he kept moving around. I was so stressed thinking he would starve and he reminded me of "Where's Waldo" because I would endlessly search the tank looking for him. One morning I found him up to find him on the pump and he hasn't moved since. At all. I even gave him an acro. Still no movement. Haha.

OP
OP
Karen00

Karen00

2500 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have one good worker in my tank and that is my Caribbean or Atlantic Blue Tang (Acanthurus coeruleus). Everyone else is spoiled and lazy; including the snails and hermits.

Edit: Sorry pics or it didn't happen...
View attachment 2593409
That is a beautiful fish! Can I fit one in a 5g? ;-) Speaking of lazy snails... my trochus snail is really hard working but my margarita snail doesn't seem to do anything. He certainly doesn't eat the algae which is what I got him for. LOL

BRS

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%

Join the movement!
Back