Do these white strands look like a bacterial bloom or some other nastiness?

cryptrix

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello folks.. My 25g AIO is on the newer side relatively, but has been mostly stable after an initial cycle. I woke up today and overnight, my tank has exploded with white/clear strands, everywhere and on everything. At first I was worried it was something invasive, looking like individual worm strands or something.. but on further inspection none seem to retract, they clump up and blow off fairly easily, and I haven't noticed any critter tubes at the base. Its also incredible how much popped up in 8 hours..

Does this look like a somewhat typical bacterial bloom? I had a few algae blooms on initial cycle but this is new.. I may have caused it myself, the only things I recently changed are:

-Added a media caddy so moved my existing GFO and Carbon pouches to it.. are these overkill perhaps and causing issue? (Phos ~.05-.1 ppm, NItrate ~2 ppm last check)
-Added frozen phyto to food regimen
-Had one of my unstable rocks out of the water for about 10min to add a support

Thoughts?

IMG_4726.jpg IMG_4719.jpg IMG_4722.jpg

OP
OP
cryptrix

cryptrix

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you dose any type of organic carbon? Or bacteria mixture?

Sincerely Lasse
I do not dose carbon (just have the filter pouch), and I dosed a few different types of bacteria initially to aid the cycle, but haven't added any since.

I've been trying to get some better pictures, challenging, and I THINK I'm starting to find tubes around the base of some strands, but they are incredibly small and its hard to tell.. Is it possible this is all vermetid mucus and they just decided to have a party last night?

IMG_4753.jpg IMG_4757.jpg IMG_4750.jpg

TOP 10 Trending Threads

Back