Do hermits do better with supplemental feeding?

WallaceGrover

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My tank has lots of hair algae and other algal/bacterial goodies, just added hermits yesterday, but I was curious if they need some sort of meaty food as well to thrive? I have no fish so there isn't any scraps that they can get to.

Nutramar Foods

clownfish81

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My tank has lots of hair algae and other algal/bacterial goodies, just added hermits yesterday, but I was curious if they need some sort of meaty food as well to thrive? I have no fish so there isn't any scraps that they can get to.
They'll do just fine and thrive if they have some algae to graze on, but adding a few pellets won't hurt and they might appreciate them but I wouldn't
Hermits are scavengers, so just make sure they have something to eat and they'll be happy.
Also if you do, don't over feed much. A few pellets will be more than enough for them.

If you're trying to get rid of the algae, the hermits won't make a significant dent in helping, so you should consider doing other things. Manual removal and decreasing light intensity and moving the tank away from direct sunlight if it is

Last edited:
Orphek OR3 reef aquarium LED bar

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
Review score
+12 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+12 /0 /-0
Wisconsin - Florida delayed due 2 hurricane damage
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
Most hermits are scavengers. For algae, Carribean blue leg hermits which are tiny are great workers. In addition to hermits, add snails such as Astrea - cerith - turbo grazer and trochus and even a trochus and a Pencil urchin

Are you using RODI water or tap water from the faucet ?
What is your phosphate level?
Is tank at or near a window?

Start with pulling off as much as you can by hand and reduce white light intensity and number of hours of white lighting, then add the extra cleaners

www.dinkinsaquaticgardens.com
OP
OP
W

WallaceGrover

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Most hermits are scavengers. For algae, Carribean blue leg hermits which are tiny are great workers. In addition to hermits, add snails such as Astrea - cerith - turbo grazer and trochus and even a trochus and a Pencil urchin

Are you using RODI water or tap water from the faucet ?
What is your phosphate level?
Is tank at or near a window?

Start with pulling off as much as you can by hand and reduce white light intensity and number of hours of white lighting, then add the extra cleaners
The tank is a pico 4.8g that's only a month old. The algae doesn't really bother me besides some that's going crazy next to a zoanthid colony that I need to manually remove soon. It does unfortunately get some pretty direct light from the window in the morning though. I adjusted the blinds but I have a lot of houseplants as well.

The crabs were more to get some fauna in there. They're very entertaining to watch! I put a couple pellets in and they scrambled to them.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
Review score
+12 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+12 /0 /-0
Wisconsin - Florida delayed due 2 hurricane damage
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
The tank is a pico 4.8g that's only a month old. The algae doesn't really bother me besides some that's going crazy next to a zoanthid colony that I need to manually remove soon. It does unfortunately get some pretty direct light from the window in the morning though. I adjusted the blinds but I have a lot of houseplants as well.

The crabs were more to get some fauna in there. They're very entertaining to watch! I put a couple pellets in and they scrambled to them.
Problem with sunlight which is the UV and strength of UV from window which penetrates shades and blinds.
If algae does noy bother you, add a couple of astrea snails. Often, I suggest placing a piece of black construction paper from Walmart on the side facing window which drastically reduces algae growth

Nutramar Foods

Stomatopods17

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It does unfortunately get some pretty direct light from the window in the morning though. I adjusted the blinds but I have a lot of houseplants as well.

Algae needs fuel to grow (nitrates, phosphates, silicates), overtime it'll run out of fuel especially with water changes and be more controllable, only way you can introduce more fuel is when something rots in the tank, such as food or dead crabs.

Sunlight helps algae produce, but if there's no nutrients (imagine taking a plant out of the soil and in a plastic bag with no air for carbon dioxide) then it has nothing to use that energy to produce with.

Otherwise the ocean would've been taken over by bubble algae and outcompeted coral.

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%
Back