Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm thinking about getting a foxface rabbitfish for my 125 gallon reef tank for algae control, the only thing I want to know is do they eat lps corals and coral in general, I watched some videos that had information about them eating coral if not fed enough, I am wanting to know if this is really the norm for this species. The type I would get is the normal yellow foxface.

Nutramar Foods

KING KONG

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm thinking about getting a foxface rabbitfish for my 125 gallon reef tank for algae control, the only thing I want to know is do they eat lps corals and coral in general, I watched some videos that had information about them eating coral if not fed enough, I am wanting to know if this is really the norm for this species. The type I would get is the normal yellow foxface.
Foxface Rabbit fish sometimes will nip soft corals like Zoas. Still some eat some do not eat. If u feed them enough, they will not bother your corals. If u see them nipping your corals, feed them more. I hv seen mine nipping on corals in past

ID-Reefer

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 200 gal. display. Mixed reef. Ive had a scribbled Rabbit and a bicolor fox face. Have been fun fish as they have personality and blow bubbles together. Unfortunately they both started nipping on Duncans. I trapped and sold the fox face. Then after that and before I could catch the scribbled I noticed he started leaving Duncans alone. That was about 6 months ago and now he is a model citizen (other than he is getting big and clumsy and occasionally bumps into SPS colonies and breaks off pieces). Doesn't nip anything, just eats like a pig. Most people Ive talked to have no problem with fox face rabbits. Both ate anything I fed the tank. Here is the Scribbled.

IMG_8855.jpeg

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
Review score
+12 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+12 /0 /-0
Wisconsin - Florida delayed due 2 hurricane damage
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
Yes especially zoa. Having an LFS, I quickly learned - No tanks with coral. I have caught a one spot and a gold spotted eating my zoa more than once hence I no longer have rabbitfish

vetteguy53081

Review score
+12 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+12 /0 /-0
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
They eat algae as a favorite source and Do and Should have a balanced diet of both meaty and herbivorous foods and should be offered both. They all eat meaty such as shrimp (brine, mysis, chopped Krill) and LRS herbivore, rods original, formula and plankton.

KING KONG

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
so the important strategie is to keep them well fed, how often do they need to be fed then?
2-3 times. U hv to watch how much amount it wants in a single meal. Sometimes fish tell u how much food they need. Feed them only that amount that it can consume within few minutes otherwise water chemistry will be in trouble. Also they should be place with peaceful or semi aggresive fishes as they really get stressed when placed with aggressive fish

littlefoxx

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Generally no, but each fish has its own personality and I've known one that snacked on acans.

Should be pretty safe in a 120 if it's well fed
i have one! She is a baby, l would suggest getting a baby for sure, that might help her not to eat coral if you train her from the get go on feeding schedule

vetteguy53081

Review score
+12 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+12 /0 /-0
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
I ve had 3 and each one after my zoa

Nutramar Foods

shadyraro

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a Foxface and I’ve noticed my zoa garden has started to become patchy, then today i saw him grazing and nipping at them.. I believe my fish are well fed (3 times a day) with a mix of pellets, frozen and nori, but I think it’s time for him to go back to my LFS.

Last edited:
BRS

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%
Deltec
Back