Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know it's a weird question but let me explain. I have a dwarf lionfish, trigger, and dragon wrasse. The lion is only eating live food at this point but is dumb and slow. The trigger and wrasse are beating him to the rosy's I put. I'm feeding 5-7 rosy's just so the lion can get 2. I've tried many different scenarios but one has shown promise. I hold the rosy between my thumb and index finger, it wiggles around and the lion comes right up to me but I let go before he chomps down because I'm afraid of getting bitten and it gets away. I'm not worried about getting stung, it's happened a few times already and doesn't hurt that bad. I'm already missing a few fingers so I'd like to not lose anymore. Has anyone here been bitten by one before?

Orphek OR3 reef aquarium LED bar

lion king

5000 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not bitten but stung. A little tip, feeding rosies is bad news. Rosies contain a high amount of thiaminese which binds vit B1, will cause what people call lockjaw and death. They also have a tendency to bind in the gut, cause bloat and death. if that isn't enough, they don't contain the proper fats or much required nutrients at all. Recommended live fish would be guppies and mollies, along with live ghost shrimp.

Top Shelf Aquatics
OP
OP
aws2266

aws2266

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not bitten but stung. A little tip, feeding rosies is bad news. Rosies contain a high amount of thiaminese which binds vit B1, will cause what people call lockjaw and death. They also have a tendency to bind in the gut, cause bloat and death. if that isn't enough, they don't contain the proper fats or much required nutrients at all. Recommended live fish would be guppies and mollies, along with live ghost shrimp.
Thanks for the tip. In the past, I've fed ghost shrimp and guppies. My lfs has been having a hard time keeping those in stock so I've used the rosies when needed.

OP
OP
aws2266

aws2266

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Try some tongs or long tweezers and not worry about it.. haha
That's the route I'm gonna try. So much easier to just pick them up with my hands. I guess I'll get better the more I use the tongs and tweezers.

Top Shelf Aquatics

lion king

5000 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the tip. In the past, I've fed ghost shrimp and guppies. My lfs has been having a hard time keeping those in stock so I've used the rosies when needed.

Yeah I get it, I;ve had a really hard time maintaining my live food. I recently had to get some platys, which are ok in a pinch, but I hate trying to feed them because they float. My rhino needs live mollies to continue to survive, I've had him more than 4 years, and that's long for a rhino. Well kept secret, people don't like to admit how quickly such an expensive fish dies. The point of my story is, I use to get bags of 50 mollies for a dollar a piece, I just had to buy some for $3 a piece. I almost bought some goldfish, goldfish are horrible too, but they don't bind in the gut and cause bloat, so safer than rosies if you can find some small enough. I only mention that if it's life or death, that's what some fail to understand. Converting to dead food isn't 100%, and some don't understand that either. And there are draw backs to a dead diet that you need to understand if you don't want them dying in a year due to thiaminese poisoning or some other nutritional deficiency, I write alot of threads on nutrition for predators if you what to check some out, click my name and "find all threads".

OP
OP
aws2266

aws2266

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah I get it, I;ve had a really hard time maintaining my live food. I recently had to get some platys, which are ok in a pinch, but I hate trying to feed them because they float. My rhino needs live mollies to continue to survive, I've had him more than 4 years, and that's long for a rhino. Well kept secret, people don't like to admit how quickly such an expensive fish dies. The point of my story is, I use to get bags of 50 mollies for a dollar a piece, I just had to buy some for $3 a piece. I almost bought some goldfish, goldfish are horrible too, but they don't bind in the gut and cause bloat, so safer than rosies if you can find some small enough. I only mention that if it's life or death, that's what some fail to understand. Converting to dead food isn't 100%, and some don't understand that either. And there are draw backs to a dead diet that you need to understand if you don't want them dying in a year due to thiaminese poisoning or some other nutritional deficiency, I write alot of threads on nutrition for predators if you what to check some out, click my name and "find all threads".
I'll definitely check out your threads. thanks for the info

Nutramar

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%

Innovative Marine - Made to Order
Back