Do Dino’s need to be fully eradicated, or are some okay?

magicjosh

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve been battling Dino’s for almost 2 months now and I’ve pretty much defeated them.

I took a sample via microscope today and it appears 99% of my “brown dust” is not Dino’s anymore, but a mix of diatoms and something else I cannot identify. However, there appears to be the occasional Dino cell floating around.

Are they ever considered to be fully eradicated? Do they need to be, or are a few of them floating around natural?

Pictures for reference. From what you can see, there appears to be a singular Dino surrounded by a bunch of diatoms and other organisms.

IMG_0809.jpeg IMG_0805.jpeg

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There is likely always going to be some dinos in every tank. Heck, even the algae that lives in corals is a kind of dino.

Ziggy17

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When you can take a sample from a few places on the sandbed and only see 1 or 2 Dinos per slide, then you can start backing off the silicate dosing. Slowly tapper off for about two months and then let the diatoms burn off.

landlubber

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
once you get on top of the issues your system will biologically control them.
I couldn't say whether or not that results in total eradication or not but your tank will at least be in a state where your corals are no longer threatened.

scotty333

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
once you get on top of the issues your system will biologically control them.
I couldn't say whether or not that results in total eradication or not but your tank will at least be in a state where your corals are no longer threatened.
Why would corals be threatened?

TOP 10 Trending Threads

Back