Do blue LEDs narrow our reefkeeping choice?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Reef Builders

2500 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m lucky enough to be able to dive some of the best reefs the ocean gods have given us, but there is not a single dive that I pass a coral or a fish, and wonder why they are not more popular in reef aquariums. Inspecting coral farms around Indonesia, I always wonder why this…
Source

Continue reading...

beesnreefs

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m lucky enough to be able to dive some of the best reefs the ocean gods have given us, but there is not a single dive that I pass a coral or a fish, and wonder why they are not more popular in reef aquariums. Inspecting coral farms around Indonesia, I always wonder why this…
Source

Continue reading...
The purple tort in this article is absolute

I’m running ATi Stratons and loving the daylight look. Where could I get a legit chunk of that kind of purple tort?

JetsIrish

Community Member
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When I was first looking to get into the hobby, I couldn’t understand the appeal of the blue/actinic look.

But now that I’ve gotten into it, I have come around. The corals (and even the sand) really pop under blues. My wife complains that the tank looks a bit like a desert under a more white spectrum.

Maybe I just need to pick better corals. To that end, what are some of your favorite non-sps corals under whiter/full spectrum?

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
He’s Mg
When I was first looking to get into the hobby, I couldn’t understand the appeal of the blue/actinic look.

But now that I’ve gotten into it, I have come around. The corals (and even the sand) really pop under blues. My wife complains that the tank looks a bit like a desert under a more white spectrum.

Maybe I just need to pick better corals. To that end, what are some of your favorite non-sps corals under whiter/full spectrum?

Yellow Fiji leather, pink or yellow or white or so photosynthetic stereonepthea, purple/red/yellow gorgs and red Xenia off the top of my head. Lots of soft corals look great under whiter.

Lots of acros too.

LPS seem to favor blue though.

JetsIrish

Community Member
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
He’s Mg

Yellow Fiji leather, pink or yellow or white or so photosynthetic stereonepthea, purple/red/yellow gorgs and red Xenia off the top of my head. Lots of soft corals look great under whiter.

Lots of acros too.

LPS seem to favor blue though.
Thanks. I’ll look into these.

open to other suggestions from anyone else as well.

gbru316

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I love coral "pop" as much as the next reefer but it's just so... unnatural. I've never been able to stomach my tank running a super blue spectrum. Even AB+ is a bit too blue for my taste. And my wife thinks it looks like something you'd find in a teenage boy's room.

I'm gradually going back to a more natural spectrum -- shooting for somewhere around the 14k range that was popular back in the metal halide days. A bit bluer than 10k, but not nearly 20k Radium blue. I can always set sunrise and sunset to be more blue.

Last edited:

Anemone_Fanatic

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I love glowing corals as much as anybody, but the naturalistic look of a tank with white lighting can't be denied. I have my LEDs set at 60% white, 40% blue. I don't have any corals yet, but it already looks better than with mainly blues.

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%

Premium Algae Scrubbers from Turbo's Aquatics!
Back