+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi folks,

I've been thinking of making a DIY STC-1000 temperature controller and I'm wondering how reliable and long-lasting they are after seeing this board: https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/heater-controllers-do-fail.780033/#post-8259865

Anyone here made a DIY STC-1000 controller? How long has it been running and are you happy with it?

No I don't want to get an Inkbird because I've seen too many bad reviews saying they start failing within the first year. Yes, I'm sure Ranco would be more reliable but I wish they could be calibrated. And yes, I know a full aquarium controller will control more than just temperature and I do hope to get one eventually but I need a temperature controller for my freshwater tank anyways so I was planning on switching the temp. controller to that tank once I get a full controller for my reef tank.

Good advice would be much appreciated, as always. Thanks in advance!

World Wide Corals

burban94

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have used one of the STC1000 controllers for a diy setup. I built it for a 125g tank. That thank cracked unexpectedly a little over a year ago but I had built the controller about 3 years before that. Switched it over to my 40g breeder, has worked flawlessly in that time frame. I wouldn't hesitate to build another should this one die. Word of note, if you build one make sure to add an inline fuse to the setup. I have always run two heaters, so I just calculate the total amp draw and size my fuse 1amp over that, 2amp max.

n1ng

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got it for redundancy, saves my controller some work. It's been running for about 2 months now without any issues. The version I ordered had a metal temperature probe, so I had to shrink wrap and silicone (I have since replaced it with a probe that is completely sealed).

I tried the Inkbird ITC-306A intially and found that it was not reliable, temperature would fluctuate too much before relay was triggered. The STC1000 I'm within 0.2C (initially had F but the controller is in C) of target temp.

If you are not afraid of a bit of diy I would highly recommend it. I can purchase 3 STC1000s for the price of 1 ITC.

Last edited:
Avast
OP
OP
Elbereth

Elbereth

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you both! That's certainly very encouraging to hear.

I notice there are lots of different brands of the STC1000s though. Can anyone speak to whether they're all equally reliable?

@burban94 I'm afraid I have no prior wiring/electronic experience. Is there a tutorial you know by chance that would explain how to add the inline fuse?

n1ng

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just ordered the cheapest one. I tried to avoid the inkbird version. I was trying to order one with a sealed probe, but the pics and descriptions are not accurate. I just googled any video. But I can't seem to find the one I used :(

www.dinkinsaquaticgardens.com

burban94

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Some are powered by 12vdc others 120v ac. Some measure in Celsius and others in Fahrenheit, some have a metal probe where others are sealed. They all do the same thing . They will control heating and cooling. I have mine hooked to heating contol only. I'll try to see what I can find as far as a tutorial.

burban94

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Aboslutely make sure you use a fuse and size it correctly. If you aren't comfortable doing this find an electrician to do it for you. If you have it mounted in a box they way you want it an electrician can wire it together in a matter of minutes.

Pny

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have multiple STC-1000 controllers on my tanks... I had the same doubts about reliability then I built my first, so I made it a dual(!). That was back in the year 2013 and I made the single controller for my smaller cube-tank about one year later... Both running well without any issues since then. I guess both my controllers have run well over 10 years without ever even rebooting them. (I have the 230V, Celcius version and the rubber-coated temperature sensors).

Dual-STC-1000.jpg

DIY-STC-1000-A.jpg

DIY-STC-1000-B.jpg

Top Shelf Aquatics

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%
RC
Back