+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi All
Curious if anyone has input on this. I have an octoreef15 sump for my 75g display tank due to space restrictions. The schematic for it is below.
Screen Shot 2023-04-03 at 5.08.17 PM.png

I'd like to get a refugium going but there isn't much space. Currently the large chamber runs my skimmer and heaters so it is pretty full. The back chamber has my return pump which takes up about 2/3 of the space. The back left is an ATO reservoir that I don't use because I have a separate larger one. Two options I was considering:

1. Cut the plastic wall open between the ATO and return pump chamber and place a screen over it and then run the ATO as a refugium
2. Silicone a screen into the return chamber and use the empty 1/3 as a refugium

I just want to grow some chaeto and pods, nothing crazy. Would option one be enough flow? It would be relatively passive as the water wouldn't need to flow through it but just go in passively.

World Wide Corals

ARGYGANG

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
View attachment 3094723
Zero room! I built the stand myself and was planning on another FW tank so didn’t really design it for a sump, hence why this cube shaped was the only option
What I personally did for a diy and what I’ve seen others do is go buy a hang on side breeder box with a Walmart grow light (around $50 to set it up) and just hang it off the back of the tank or thickest part of your sump it works pretty dang good imo. I think fluval makes them if I’m not mistaken.

PotatoPig

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
View attachment 3094723
Zero room! I built the stand myself and was planning on another FW tank so didn’t really design it for a sump, hence why this cube shaped was the only option
Take the bio balls out and swap them for similarity sized rock rubble (still in the bag) and you’ve got yourself a small pod farm.

MoshJosh

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As said above, can use a breeder box (can use air powered or attach a pump), alternatively could use a hang on filter that is clear (aquaclear). I have done both, and both work to some degree.

What about the other side of the stand?

Could also mount something to that back wall???

World Wide Corals

ARGYGANG

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
View attachment 3094723
also i just wanted to add incase you didnt know be carful where you put the chaeto make sure it cant get to your skimmer, i had some get into my skimmer and it screwed it up pretty bad i gotta get a new one now.

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%
Aquarium Specialty
Back