Review score
+7 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+7 /0 /-0
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I'm working on a plan to incorporate ozone into ~200 gallon build that I'm working on.

I haven't used ozone consistently on a tank before and I'm trying to find a way to ensure all the water goes through carbon to eliminate any excess ozone/ozone byproducts. I understand this is important to preventing ozone toxicity.

First a question:
For those of you using ozone with a controller, how often are you actually changing the carbon on the outlet of your ozone injector? My understanding is carbon is used up quite quickly in a reef tank. I doubt most people are changing their outlet carbon every few days.

On to the reactor idea:
I'm thinking about plumbing two reactors in series. I'd attach an ozone injector like what is used on pools and spas prior to the first chamber. The first chamber would be filled with some K1 Media (HDPE "Wheels"), the second chamber could be filled with activated carbon. If needed, the first chamber could even be extended to a 20" canister to allow for more surface area & contact time with the ozone.

Let me know your thoughts on the activated carbon and reactor idea. My skimmer is ozone compatible, but I have a whole fish room where the tank is going and if filtering the ozonated water with activated carbon is truly important, the reactor seems safer.

K1 Media.jpg Canister Filter Housing.jpg Ozone Injector.jpg

Top Shelf Aquatics
AI Hydra

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%
World Wide Corals
Back