+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys,

So I have been planning a DIY led bar to supplement T5's. I ordered a heatsink from StevesLed's for a more clean looking sink. Well,placed the order with them on the 18th of last month and still haven't recieved tracking or the item.

So I am asking,for those who have made their own,what clean looking options have you used ? I am looking for the typical led bar style (Orphek,ReefBrite,ReefBreeders). Any suggestions you have found to work well with passive cooling and still look good ?

This is really the only think I am seeing so far:

Orphek OR3 reef aquarium LED bar

ikaros70

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Those are not really heat sinks, just aluminum channel. Technically, you could also use aluminum channel sold from the local hardware stores and just add your own mounts, it just won’t have the diffuser channel. As cheap as led lighting is now, it’s usually just as expensive to diy.

I ordered some 470nm led channels from AliExpress for like $50ea, hard to beat that price point and they are solid. No regrets.
Really, just depends if your looking for a project to keep you busy. If so, go the diy route and have fun with it.

You can also get heat sinks from AliExpress for pretty cheap but most of their stuff ships from China and takes about a month to get.

92Miata

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't know anything about StevesLeds, but this is about the fifth person I've seen this week complaining about lack of communication with him and things not showing up.

Email him and ask for a tracking number. If you don't get a response in 48 hours or so - I'd start opening up a case with your credit card company.

World Wide Corals
OP
OP
Steven Garland

Steven Garland

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Those are not really heat sinks, just aluminum channel. Technically, you could also use aluminum channel sold from the local hardware stores and just add your own mounts, it just won’t have the diffuser channel. As cheap as led lighting is now, it’s usually just as expensive to diy.

I ordered some 470nm led channels from AliExpress for like $50ea, hard to beat that price point and they are solid. No regrets.
Really, just depends if your looking for a project to keep you busy. If so, go the diy route and have fun with it.

You can also get heat sinks from AliExpress for pretty cheap but most of their stuff ships from China and takes about a month to get.

I hadn't looked there yet but that might be a good idea. But I guess I could do that too. I am just looking for a clean alternative to the stevesled version. I was going to just get a ReefBrite led bar,but I literally have all the diodes in the world,drivers,controllers I just need the heatsink. Worst case I can order some aluminum channel from LEDSupply if HD doesn't have any.

OP
OP
Steven Garland

Steven Garland

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't know anything about StevesLeds, but this is about the fifth person I've seen this week complaining about lack of communication with him and things not showing up.

Email him and ask for a tracking number. If you don't get a response in 48 hours or so - I'd start opening up a case with your credit card company.

I have been ordering from them for literally YEARS numerous orders a year and this is the first issue. The main guy Jeff was responsive and then hasn't responded to my last 2 emails. My last one I can see why,I WAS nasty but oh well. I used paypal so a refund will be easy.

EDIT: I just opened a case with PP and I will figure out another route for my leds.

Last edited:

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%
BSA
Back