Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been stockpiling ingredients for DIY frozen food. We are 70 miles from a real fishmonger so I have to rely on what we do have locally seafood wise.

Today I found that Aldi has a "seafood mix". It has calamari (squid), mussels, shrimp, and bay scallops. I bought it mainly for the mussels and squid since no one else in town has them. It says the ingredients are raw so I grabbed it. I noticed that other "seafood medley" mixes have raw shrimp etc but they have cooked mussels in them. The species of mussels in the mix I bought are mytillus chilensis. I am pretty sure mine are raw. The other mixes do list that the mussels are cooked and mine says they're raw. How would one know if the mussels were cooked and they didn't list it that way in the ingredients? After looking at pictures of raw Chilean blue mussels and cooked ones they look the same to me.

I know that when in doubt I shouldn't use it. Like I said I am about 95% sure mine are raw. I just wonder if one could tell whether or not frozen mussels and clams in mixes are raw or cooked.

www.dinkinsaquaticgardens.com

Spare time

10K Club member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Personally, I wouldn't worry about it being cooked or not. The main thing to check for are the preservatives. I guess the way you could tell if its cooked is to thaw one out.

Last edited:
www.dinkinsaquaticgardens.com

Spare time

10K Club member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I thought fish food had to be completely raw. Then again I imagine the pellets we feed are cooked much like dog kibble is cooked now that I think about it. Thank you.

Yeah that was sort of my thought behind why I don't think it matters. I don't know of a study with fish in this, but cooking food (or having it processed) yields greater energy for the organism consuming it (at least for the species I know of).

OP
OP
Fishy888

Fishy888

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Make sure you give the seafood a good rinse before prepping to remove the preservatives.
I intend to do just that. My phosphates are high enough already lol

Nutramar Foods

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%

Reef Brite the professionals choice
Back