Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi there I’m deciding between two polycarbonate sheeting to make a lid that’s eel proof and that lets the light through it well.

One of the options is a classic greenhouse sheet with the ridges in it, and the other is a solid piece of polycarbonate that’s 1/2” thick.

I need to be able to keep my tiny banded moray eel in, and my 6 pound cat out haha :grinning-face-with-sweat:
Which is the better option to create a great lid for my tank.

It’s a mixed reef so the ability for my lights to shine through is a must as well.
If you kow which is the better option please let me know!!

70EAE8F7-A883-4300-8048-6B83348FA5DF.jpeg
A87A4125-84D6-41C5-A54E-59753F7BB56A.jpeg

www.dinkinsaquaticgardens.com

Jedi1199

2500 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is this a fish only tank, or do you have corals in it as well.

For what its worth, none of my tanks have lids, and the cats have never jumped inside.

Oops.. I just saw where you said its a mixed reef. Personally, I wouldn't put a lid over it except maybe mesh. The amount of light degradation through a glass or plastic lid, is considerable. Mesh will allow the most light penetration. Evaporation is something we all have to deal with. As for the cat.. let her jump in.. she won't do it again.

www.dinkinsaquaticgardens.com

Jedi1199

2500 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Louie only went half way in once
IMG_4290-M.jpg

That cracks me up!!... Back when I had freshwater tanks, the cats I had at the time were always roaming over the top and drinking from the tank. Neither of my current cats are interested in getting on top of the tanks now. One of them did jump into the RODI Brute can, ONCE! He avoids the whole room now.

OP
OP
Kyuubi

Kyuubi

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is this a fish only tank, or do you have corals in it as well.

For what its worth, none of my tanks have lids, and the cats have never jumped inside.

Oops.. I just saw where you said its a mixed reef. Personally, I wouldn't put a lid over it except maybe mesh. The amount of light degradation through a glass or plastic lid, is considerable. Mesh will allow the most light penetration. Evaporation is something we all have to deal with. As for the cat.. let her jump in.. she won't do it again.
Would the amount of light degradation be mitigated by placing the lights closer you think?

My girl loves the water and I catch her in my tank (it’s half full and I catch her on my live rocks lol) she’s formed the habit of hopping in unfortunately

WVNed

The fish are staring at me with hungry eyes.
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That cracks me up!!... Back when I had freshwater tanks, the cats I had at the time were always roaming over the top and drinking from the tank. Neither of my current cats are interested in getting on top of the tanks now. One of them did jump into the RODI Brute can, ONCE! He avoids the whole room now.

Well Mocha went into a 55 gallon oscar tank but that was a long time ago. He is 17.
IMG_1308-M.jpg

Sploosh, meowrrrrow splash splash rOWWow splat
then I had to mop the kitchen

Avast

fishguy242

Cronies
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Would the amount of light degradation be mitigated by placing the lights closer you think?

My girl loves the water and I catch her in my tank (it’s half full and I catch her on my live rocks lol) she’s formed the habit of hopping in unfortunately
depending on tank size ,type of light , light spread, current height of light ?

Jedi1199

2500 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Unfortunately, I have to say, most likely not. Algae grows on the glass, droplets of water from the aforementioned evaporation will collect and both, provide a more welcome home for algae, and further reduce light penetration.

In a situation like this, where we are discussing corals that require light to live. ANY interference is detrimental.

For your corals to grow and thrive, the way I am sure you imagine it, they will need as direct a light source as possible. Also, as the light degrades, which will happen over days or even weeks, it is impossible to tell how much light loss you are getting. Even worse, after 2 weeks, you clean the glass and suddenly you have ramped up the light tenfold. Corals will not appreciate that!

Your baby may hop on the mesh, but after she realizes that saltwater is not tasty, I doubt she will do it again.. the sink or toilet are easier to get into and don't taste so bad.

Orphek OR3 reef aquarium LED bar

WVNed

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would get some glass cut at a glass company that is thicker than you can buy at HD or Lowes and have them dress the edges. Like what is used for shelves.
Yes you will have to clean it frequently but that is always the case with glass tops.

OP
OP
Kyuubi

Kyuubi

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Unfortunately, I have to say, most likely not. Algae grows on the glass, droplets of water from the aforementioned evaporation will collect and both, provide a more welcome home for algae, and further reduce light penetration.

In a situation like this, where we are discussing corals that require light to live. ANY interference is detrimental.

For your corals to grow and thrive, the way I am sure you imagine it, they will need as direct a light source as possible. Also, as the light degrades, which will happen over days or even weeks, it is impossible to tell how much light loss you are getting. Even worse, after 2 weeks, you clean the glass and suddenly you have ramped up the light tenfold. Corals will not appreciate that!

Your baby may hop on the mesh, but after she realizes that saltwater is not tasty, I doubt she will do it again.. the sink or toilet are easier to get into and don't taste so bad.
My only fear with mesh is that she will break it and then be unable to escape if she does jump up, is there a certain strength of mesh I can use that can withstand her jumping up on it?

Jedi1199

2500 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My only fear with mesh is that she will break it and then be unable to escape if she does jump up, is there a certain strength of mesh I can use that can withstand her jumping up on it?

Interesting question. I'd have to do some research on that to give you an answer. Eels are tricky.. they seem to find the tiniest holes that you would never expect, and manage to get through. Lost a beautiful snowflake more moons ago than I wish to count that hopped through the gap between my glass top and the HOB filter.. couldn't have been more that 1/8" gap, but the dry, brown speckled stick of a dead eel was the same as if I had a manhole sized opening on the tank.

OP
OP
Kyuubi

Kyuubi

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Interesting question. I'd have to do some research on that to give you an answer. Eels are tricky.. they seem to find the tiniest holes that you would never expect, and manage to get through. Lost a beautiful snowflake more moons ago than I wish to count that hopped through the gap between my glass top and the HOB filter.. couldn't have been more that 1/8" gap, but the dry, brown speckled stick of a dead eel was the same as if I had a manhole sized opening on the tank.
Yes that’s what I’ve heard!! Another fear of using mesh, my local lfs uses the polycarbonate on their coral tanks which is why I was going to use it.

WVNed

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Screening is tougher than you would think
IMG_2098-M.jpg
Louie climbs ours all the time.
I have one tank that has equipment going into it. I cut a piece of PVC plank sold at Home Depot to tightly fit the stuff going into the tank and then butted the screen up to that.
IMG_3946-M.jpg

The disadvantage of this as far as a cat goes is that the top is not supported on the edge where they meet.
If your cat is like ours you could show them the top of the tank and then they will know where it is safe to step and where to avoid.

Try the polycarbonate and if it doesn't work out try something else. I suspect that if the cat learns it cant get in the tank anymore it will lose interest. Or it will wait until your back is turned and the top is off. They can be very sneaky.
I think I would drill some small holes like 1/4 inch along the back every 4 inches for air exchange though.

Yates273

Valuable Member
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have the poly in your top picture for over 6 months on my mixed reef tank. The par is affected but not by that much that concerns me. So far I have no algae growing on the lids. I am running 2 hydra 26’s a Kessil AP700 amd a 4 bulb Aquatic life hybrid. As much as o would like the screen these lids serve their purpose of keeping my fish in the tank.

AC138467-7BFF-4285-A866-0C067B1EA478.png 87237904-60A1-4159-A9D8-0EF419F71A85.jpeg

AquaCave Logo Banner
BRS

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%

Reef Breeders
Back