Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Ok, so I decided to make an Aragocrete frag rack using Portland cement and aragonite sand. It's very small - maybe 3/4 cup of cement and 1 cup of aragonite sand plus a tablespoon of rock salt. I used egg crate for the "frame". My question - I have a 125 gallon tank that's been running for about 9 months now. I have probably close to 25 pounds of Aragocrete rocks that I made several months back and freshwater soaked for about 2 months, watching the pH, and then saltwater soaked for another month. When I added these to my tank, I added them about 4-5 pounds at a time and never noticed any pH or alkalinity spike - I didn't really expect any since the soaks took that out for the most part.

My question: how much of a pH or alkalinity shift should I expect if I don't let this thing soak or soak it for a short period? Again, 125 gallon tank plus sump, 3/4 cup of Portland cement max, probably closer to 1/2 cup.

AS
OP
OP
tbrown3589

tbrown3589

It's just me
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
That's my thought. I have about 30 pounds of rock I made previously in my tank and I never noticed a spike but I did freshwater soak for a month and a half before saltwater soaking. I also only added them once every week or two. I'm thinking I'll let these soak until the water stops clouding and then do a saltwater soak for a week with some cycled media to start the seeding. I'll probably dose some phosphates as well to try to eliminate the phosphate stripping once I add them to the tank. Already having a hard enough time keeping the phosphates elevated to detectable levels.

www.dinkinsaquaticgardens.com

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%
Extreme Corals
Back