Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It is not unknown to world wide coral bleaching event, and global warming. I was shocked to hear ~29% of Great Barrier Reef was bleaching just in 2016. So, If I do my math right, we won't have GBR at the end of 2021 if this event stays as is. I know we help each other to keep this hobby alive, I hope we can help the environment too.

You can watch the documentary here -

Corals.com
Top Shelf Aquatics
OP
OP
N

NShirke

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are we helpless? Just giving an analogy of aquarium; by keeping our parameter stable, we're able to regrow entire colony with just one polyp of a coral in our aquarium. Are we at a point, where these events are irreversible or do we have time?

zalick

A cup of water and a dash of salt
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are we helpless? Just giving an analogy of aquarium; by keeping our parameter stable, we're able to regrow entire colony with just one polyp of a coral in our aquarium. Are we at a point, where these events are irreversible or do we have time?
I think we are past the point of no return for the reefs as we currently know them. However, coral has been around for around 250m years and our current reefs around 5,000-10,000 years old. Ultimately coral reefs will survive, in some form, and likely outlive humans. IMO

Jeeperz

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I partially blame tourists. I'm sure most have seen the news over the years of cruise ships dumping their waste along the gbr. If not look it up. It's sad and disgusting. Plus the water runoff containing pesticides/herbicides right into the ocean. You would think Australia would be more proactive in prevention but the almighty $$$ still reigns supreme.

AS

jorwill

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I partially blame tourists. I'm sure most have seen the news over the years of cruise ships dumping their waste along the gbr. If not look it up. It's sad and disgusting. Plus the water runoff containing pesticides/herbicides right into the ocean. You would think Australia would be more proactive in prevention but the almighty $$$ still reigns supreme.
The $$$ always will too sadly.

blasterman

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What makes no sense to me is other coral reefs are thriving. We have one atmosphere and a globally connected ocean. While there are regional environmental conditions I still think we are missing something with this.

www.dinkinsaquaticgardens.com

Ardeus

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Corals will be fine. They survived previous mass extinctions and they will survive the current one.

It won't be a pretty story though. If you are 60 or less, you'll be here to witness the end of what's left of reefs.

They have gone through this before:

Non photosynthetic corals in the deep will survive and colonize the shallows once the conditions are right again.

So, there's hope, just not in the short term. In the short term this is what we'll see (produced in Australia)

A bit more of "comedy" (that's my preferred approach to the subject, because otherwise it's just too much). The data was all correct at the time though. Now it's much worse,

Alexopora

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What makes no sense to me is other coral reefs are thriving. We have one atmosphere and a globally connected ocean. While there are regional environmental conditions I still think we are missing something with this.
I don’t think thats how our Earth works. Just because all of the oceans are connected doesn’t mean the water conditions will be exactly the same. We have to take into consideration geography, climate, temperature, and human activities. And i don’t think “other coral reefs are thriving” is accurate. Perhaps reefs in the Red Sea are more resilient but we can’t say the same for reefs in the Carribean.

Last edited:

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%
Aquariums Wholesale Live coral auctions every week
Back