Review score
+1 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just had a few questions about power outages and what everyone is doing. i live in an area that doesnt get too many power outages and they are usually short lived. but as i look at my tank that seems to be thriving and on cruise control i think about the what ifs. i have seen alot of DIY battery stuff. i am a nurse- not an electrician and some of the literature is confusion to me, so i dont think this is the right route for me.

Ive been looking into generators and would like some input. i have a small AIO (40 gallon). running a 200w heater, a nero 5, and a small dc return pump. would an inverter generator be ok for this equipment? i have read a few things that you need inverter generators for dc types stuff and "sensitive electronics".

any recommended brands? saw a few cheaper models on amazon? anyone using these?

thanks.

Nutramar Foods

MarineandReef Jaron

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would recommend a battery backup for your powerheads as a start. I don't think AI makes a native battery back up but the Ice Cap Battery Back up will work. https://www.marineandreef.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=RIC00722
Here is a thread on using the battery with the Nero 5 https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/nero-5-works-with-new-icecap-battery-backup.698170/

The advantage of the battery backup is that it automatically turns on when the power is out so if an outage happens while you are away you will have 12-24 hours to react. That will give you time to get your generator in place and it will likely cover most power outages on its own.

For a generator, I would recommend a propane or dual-fuel generator. Propane generators are more tolerant of neglect, so if you don't plan on running your generator for a bit every month or so, then propane will be a better option.

OP
OP
MIke Wood

MIke Wood

Review score
+1 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would recommend a battery backup for your powerheads as a start. I don't think AI makes a native battery back up but the Ice Cap Battery Back up will work. https://www.marineandreef.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=RIC00722
Here is a thread on using the battery with the Nero 5 https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/nero-5-works-with-new-icecap-battery-backup.698170/

The advantage of the battery backup is that it automatically turns on when the power is out so if an outage happens while you are away you will have 12-24 hours to react. That will give you time to get your generator in place and it will likely cover most power outages on its own.

For a generator, I would recommend a propane or dual-fuel generator. Propane generators are more tolerant of neglect, so if you don't plan on running your generator for a bit every month or so, then propane will be a better option.
thanks for the recommendations, much appreciated. I did a lot of reading last night and ended up with a dual fuel generator. will look into a smaller battery backups but my tank has handled a few hours of down time in the past. and most of the outages have only been an hour tops. the power company does give us a fairly accurate estimate so if its longer than 3 or 4 hours i can hook up the generator or have a neighbor do so if I'm away.

FishTruck

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One more thing... consider popping in a couple of battery powered air pumps when you are on vacation...

They automatically turn on if there is a power outage, cost nothing, and can keep your tank aerated for days. If nobody is there to witness the loss of power, these are a cheap lifesaver.

1684980468318.png

Nutramar Foods
AI Hydra

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%
www.Riptideaquaculture.com
Back