Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dinos ended up transferring to my new tank from the old tank. had just beat them in the previous display. I dipped all the corals in both coral rx and a peroxide dip. still somehow ended up transferring the dinos. read somewhere the corals could've ingested the dinos and spit them out later (not sure if this is true?).

Just started dosing some neophos as well as silicates to induce some diatom growth.

it's very faint right now so hoping I can get ahead of it, but not sure I'll be that lucky.

it's large cell dinos so luckily not toxic, but screw having to deal with this **** again. honestly not surprised it's happened, just really hoped the dips would kill everything.

OP
OP
TheReefDiary

TheReefDiary

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dinos are in all tanks. They’re even in corals
yeah well they were in my old tank and since this is a new tank they took control quickly. I was even dosing and feeding to have po4.

it's very faint right now so hoping what I'm doing will help quickly, but we'll see. dosing mb7 also currently.

BRS

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

Just another girl who likes fish
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dinos are in all tanks. They’re even in corals
1. Nuisance dinos are not automatically in all tanks.

2. Yes, zooxanthellae is a type of dino, so obviously they are in most coral.

From the attached article*:

"Dinoflagellates are not in principle a pest. Most species are even important components of the reef‘s biocoenosis. Zooxanthellate corals harbour dinoflagellates (Symbiodium spp.) in their tissue. Also a large part of the phytoplankton consists of dinoflagellates.

"Dinoflagellates are not real algae, but neither are bacteria. They represent an independent group that does not belong to the three kingdoms of animals (Animalia), plants (Plantae) or fungi (Fungi). Today about 2,400 different types of dinoflagellates are known.

"Dinoflagellates are found in every marine aquarium, especially if corals are present. The vast majority of dinoflagellates are useful to important in the aquarium, and only a few species cause problems through mass propagation. These include in particular species of the two genera Ostreopsis and Gambierdiscus.

*This is from Fauna Marin, and as is obvious if you read the entire article, is somewhat of a sales pitch for their products. However, it still provides good basic info on the first few pages.

Attachments

• FM_HTU_DINO_X_NEU_Dinoflagellaten_EN(1).pdf
    149.1 KB · Views: 70
Last edited:

Kmst80

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I Just upgraded my tank in the middle of a dino battle, I did not bother cleaning anything but rather trying to get back to a stable system asap. If you got a brand new tank you should get diatoms no matter what. I have a diatom bloom atm. but the dinos are still around too.
I feel like I am winning the battle though.
From my experience have nutrients, dose mb7, manual removal( I have 5 micron filter sock), phyto and copepods.

OP
OP
TheReefDiary

TheReefDiary

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I Just upgraded my tank in the middle of a dino battle, I did not bother cleaning anything but rather trying to get back to a stable system asap. If you got a brand new tank you should get diatoms no matter what. I have a diatom bloom atm. but the dinos are still around too.
I feel like I am winning the battle though.
From my experience have nutrients, dose mb7, manual removal( I have 5 micron filter sock), phyto and copepods.
i just dosed pods, i dose phyto, i dose mb7 daily according to bottle, i dose neophos since system is new and fish are small and most likely dont produce enough waste

Kmst80

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i just dosed pods, i dose phyto, i dose mb7 daily according to bottle, i dose neophos since system is new and fish are small and most likely dont produce enough waste
Keep at it. I Am in the second month of battling them. Patience is the key. Get the system as stable as possible. Don't give up. We can beat that brown monster.

jimmypencil

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dinos ended up transferring to my new tank from the old tank. had just beat them in the previous display. I dipped all the corals in both coral rx and a peroxide dip. still somehow ended up transferring the dinos. read somewhere the corals could've ingested the dinos and spit them out later (not sure if this is true?).

Just started dosing some neophos as well as silicates to induce some diatom growth.

it's very faint right now so hoping I can get ahead of it, but not sure I'll be that lucky.

it's large cell dinos so luckily not toxic, but screw having to deal with this **** again. honestly not surprised it's happened, just really hoped the dips would kill everything.

if i ever get dinos again, i would buy a paychecks worth of pods ASAP :).

Nutramar Foods
OP
OP
TheReefDiary

TheReefDiary

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

if i ever get dinos again, i would buy a paychecks worth of pods ASAP :).
pods are great to seed a tank but just dumping endless amounts in is just a waste of your money. the dinos are toxic so they die off. the issue is not having a balanced biome. pods are part of that but they won't just wipe dinos gone. plenty of threads on here with people taking about dosing pods for dinos and just throwing money down the drain.

thedon986

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Best of luck to you, mine carried over from my old setup after removing all sand they were still around and blew up in my new setup. I made it 1.5 years of fighting them and tore it down. Just now getting started back up and will be starting back up with Tampa Bay Saltwater rock and sand to pack in the diversity early.

Top Shelf Aquatics

Dirty_Birdy

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just finished a 4 month long battle with Dinos in my new tank. I don't know if it was just coincidental or my persistence... or both, but I finally think I kicked it after bumping up the tank temp a few degrees. Since I've been running at 82 degrees, all the Dinos have dissipated pretty quick.

Good luck! I was close to just fixing it with a hammer!

jimmypencil

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
pods are great to seed a tank but just dumping endless amounts in is just a waste of your money. the dinos are toxic so they die off. the issue is not having a balanced biome. pods are part of that but they won't just wipe dinos gone. plenty of threads on here with people taking about dosing pods for dinos and just throwing money down the drain.
Haha yea not a paychecks worth I was exaggerating but what other components of the biome can out compete Dino’s? It’s my understanding that Dino’s can easily out compete most things so without a natural predator that eats the slime it’s hard to correct the biome.

OP
OP
TheReefDiary

TheReefDiary

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Haha yea not a paychecks worth I was exaggerating but what other components of the biome can out compete Dino’s? It’s my understanding that Dino’s can easily out compete most things so without a natural predator that eats the slime it’s hard to correct the biome.
problem is dinos end up dying from the toxicity anyway so they eat it and population dies off. you can obviously not kill all of them vut enough to render them pointless in the battle. key is really time and getting biome more established with dosing of bacteria and maybe addition of live rock.

The Ginga Ninja

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Hey! If you really want your Dinos to be gone for good, I've found a UV Sterilizer has been the best way to ensure they don't come back. I know how to get rid of Dinos in 8 days (I've used this method in 4 different tanks and it's always worked) but a UV sterilizer is essential to making this work. Hope this helps!:

OP
OP
TheReefDiary

TheReefDiary

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey! If you really want your Dinos to be gone for good, I've found a UV Sterilizer has been the best way to ensure they don't come back. I know how to get rid of Dinos in 8 days (I've used this method in 4 different tanks and it's always worked) but a UV sterilizer is essential to making this work. Hope this helps!:

I don't have the kind that go into the water column at night.

BRS

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%

Copepods
Back