+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Im at my wits end.
im losing colonies to dinos. ive had for years, losing snails…..all because i took some chaeto from a local reefer. Yes, this is where it came from.
i am running uv, i have tried two weeks of peroxide, ive tried a blackout, iv tried mb7, dosing phyto, cleaning, no cleaning for weeks...picked up a bunch of new snails of various type……

under a microscope it appear to be both or all types….how should i know.

Ostreopsis

Prorocentrum

im not new to reefing…. I have read almost every dino thread on here and else where. even dug into google scholar.

Im so close to nuking my system of almost 10 yrs. It smells of death. It looks like death.

Please…what do i do?

@Randy Holmes-Farley @vetteguy53081 @anyonewhomighthave advice.

40 gallon all in one.

Last edited:
Nutramar Foods

CmMagenta

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I hope things get fixed soon. I'm watching your post. I had an issue but it seemed to clear up when I added vitamin c and beneficial bacterial. I was trying to fix someone else but it helped with both

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
Review score
+12 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+12 /0 /-0
Wisconsin - Florida delayed due 2 hurricane damage
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
Im at my wits end.
im losing colonies ive had for years, losing snails…..all because i took some chaeto from a local reefer. Yes, this is where it came from.
i am running uv, i have tried two weeks of peroxide, ive tried a blackout, iv tried mb7, dosing phyto, cleaning, no cleaning for weeks...picked up a bunch of new snails of various type……

under a microscope it appear to be both or all types….how should i know.

Ostreopsis

Prorocentrum

im not new to reefing…. I have read almost every dino thread on here and else where. even dug into google scholar.

Im so close to nuking my system of almost 10 yrs. It smells of death. It looks like death.

Please…what do i do?

@Randy Holmes-Farley @vetteguy53081 @anyonewhomighthave advice.

40 gallon all in one.
A couple pics will help with assessment but for both types listed, Its biological deficiencies that are causing the dino structure. No light is first key followed by the addition of bacteria to overcome the bad bacteria allowing them to thrive
Prepare by starting by blowing this stuff loose with a turkey baster and siphon up loose particles. Turn lights off (at least white and run blue at 10-15% IF you have light dependant corals) for 5 days and at night dose 1ml of 3% hydrogen peroxide per 10 gallons for all 5 nights. If you dont have light dependent coral- turn all lights off. During the day dose 1ml of liquid bacteria (such as micro bacter 7 or XLM) per 10 gallons. Clean filters daily and DO NOT FEED CORAL FOODS OR ADD NOPOX
You can feed fish as normal and if doing blackout, ambient light in room will work for them

Corals.com
OP
OP
BTimms

BTimms

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Vette, i will follow your advice to a T. I will try this again. I will take some pics in the morning, when light are on.

i have mostly sps and lps, mushrooms, and a couple nems. Will a blackout hurt?

i have been turkey basting, not hard….but this is how i see corals flesh disintegrate….

now algae is taking off like crazy

that all said, I feel as though i have done all of this already and nothing is working. Hence, my rambling painful call for help.

I appreciate your advice and will start again, this time i will document it, in hopes something will help. And maybe it will help others.

it so sad to see colonies die…..

vetteguy53081

Review score
+12 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+12 /0 /-0
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
Vette, i will follow your advice to a T. I will try this again. I will take some pics in the morning, when light are on.

that all said, I feel as though i have done all of this already and nothing is working. Hence, my rambling painful call for help.

I appreciate your advice and will start again, this time i will document it, in hopes something will help. And maybe it will help others.

it so sad to see colonies die…..
You can increase the bacteria safely

OP
OP
BTimms

BTimms

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can increase the bacteria safely

i have been turkey basting, not hard….but this is how i see corals flesh disintegrate….

will overdosing mb7 cause problems?
im wondering if i have overdosed phyto or mb7 ? even if i have stayed in the recommended limits.

Corals.com

vetteguy53081

Review score
+12 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+12 /0 /-0
Rating - 100%
6   0   0

will overdosing mb7 cause problems?
im wondering if i have overdosed phyto or mb7 ? even if i have stayed in the recommended limits.

Pull on the phyto and bacteria will be fine

Corals.com

taricha

5000 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If it were my system in these circumstances: toxic dinos ostreopsis and prorocentrum, Corals and herbivores dying. UV in place but not effective enough, I'd do the following.

1) keep UV in place in the display, but make sure it's working - bulb turning on, slow flow of a couple hundred GPH.
2) remove as much nuisance material as possible - vacuum out any noticeable brown.
3) blast stuff off of corals. any toxic dinos that settle on corals seem to kill those parts of the coral rapidly (~ a day)
4) hang filter floss in high flow and wring it out / tapwater rinse around noon daily. (or twice a day during lights on if getting lots of brown accumulation)
see this for details...
Tool #2: The Poor Man/Woman's UV
If a UV isn't in the budget, or is stuck on a boat in Long Beach, or you just want to go after these guys a little harder, you can affix sheets of filter floss to the sides of the tank like this. Ostreopsis really prefer this surface when placed in a high flow/light area. Wherever your dinos seem to be hanging about is the right place to affix the floss. I used suction cups, zip ties to fasten the floss. Repeated basting of infested surfaces is encouraged. Rinse the floss each evening (before the lights go down) in fresh water and replace. It is oddly satisfying.

5) I am not going to add any more snails/pods/phyto etc while I have toxic dinos - that is simply adding organisms that are dying due to toxins, decaying and feeding the nuisance growth. (carbon dosing - with skimmer - seems not to be a problem).
6) run GAC for toxins in the water. A small amount changed frequently might be better here than large amounts.

jimk60

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had zero success doing the five day black out with peroxide. Don't think this can be solved in five days after fighting it for months. What are your nutrient numbers? What seems to have worked for me was raising nutrients up from near zero and greatly reducing water changes. I also still dosed the mb7 only because I have it. Things are looking a lot better now but this regiment has also taken several months.

billyocean

10K Club member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If it were my system in these circumstances: toxic dinos ostreopsis and prorocentrum, Corals and herbivores dying. UV in place but not effective enough, I'd do the following.

1) keep UV in place in the display, but make sure it's working - bulb turning on, slow flow of a couple hundred GPH.
2) remove as much nuisance material as possible - vacuum out any noticeable brown.
3) blast stuff off of corals. any toxic dinos that settle on corals seem to kill those parts of the coral rapidly (~ a day)
4) hang filter floss in high flow and wring it out / tapwater rinse around noon daily. (or twice a day during lights on if getting lots of brown accumulation)
see this for details...

5) I am not going to add any more snails/pods/phyto etc while I have toxic dinos - that is simply adding organisms that are dying due to toxins, decaying and feeding the nuisance growth. (carbon dosing - with skimmer - seems not to be a problem).
6) run GAC for toxins in the water. A small amount changed frequently might be better here than large amounts.
Same. Got rid of ostreopsis in 3 or 4 days like this. I think #4 is a big factor too

Top Shelf Aquatics

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
do this

that thread shows command over any nano tank reef invasion

no other method works that well. its a set of actions you do, it's not about ID< params, any sort of hesitation

notice the thread example in there titled: about to leave reefing over gha

he didn't leave, we fixed it

because you're in a nano, chemistry doesnt matter

ID doesn't matter

how you clean the tank matters, we show, and it's not been worked that way. only large tanks that can't access deep cleaning need chemistry and ID etc.

the key to that thread is its not my tank being fixed and remarked upon, it's not a first person perspective thread

its a thread on instantly fixing broken reef tanks for others

OP
OP
BTimms

BTimms

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
do this

that thread shows command over any nano tank reef invasion

no other method works that well. its a set of actions you do, it's not about ID< params, any sort of hesitation

notice the thread example in there titled: about to leave reefing over gha

he didn't leave, we fixed it

because you're in a nano, chemistry doesnt matter

ID doesn't matter

how you clean the tank matters, we show, and it's not been worked that way. only large tanks that can't access deep cleaning need chemistry and ID etc.

the key to that thread is its not my tank being fixed and remarked upon, it's not a first person perspective thread

its a thread on instantly fixing broken reef tanks for others
I will check this out. And follow up.

OP
OP
BTimms

BTimms

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had zero success doing the five day black out with peroxide. Don't think this can be solved in five days after fighting it for months. What are your nutrient numbers? What seems to have worked for me was raising nutrients up from near zero and greatly reducing water changes. I also still dosed the mb7 only because I have it. Things are looking a lot better now but this regiment has also taken several months.
Funny thing is my parameters are all normal. I have slightly elevated calcium now, I am assuming corals have stopped uptake.
my phosphate is slightly higher.

are you suggesting to dose nitrate and phosph?

AS
OP
OP
BTimms

BTimms

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

see this for details...

This seems like my current regiment, minus the #4 floss routine.
I may try the floss, I appreciate your input.

www.dinkinsaquaticgardens.com

jimk60

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Funny thing is my parameters are all normal. I have slightly elevated calcium now, I am assuming corals have stopped uptake.
my phosphate is slightly higher.

are you suggesting to dose nitrate and phosph?
I would only suggest dosing if your nitrate and phos are at zero. At least because of the dinos. I'm at .02 phos and 6 nitrate now which is still pretty low for some people. Not sure what part that or the mb7 is playing but it seems to be working for me.

CmMagenta

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
vitamin c?
Yep. This
Screenshot_20230513_184748_Chrome.jpg

Deltec

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%
Top Shelf Aquatics
Back