Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Has anyone successfully rid their tank of Digitate hydroids after they have reached pest levels?? apparently there are nudibranch out there that will eat them, but you can’t buy them anywhere. I’ve tried a couple Halloween hermits and I don’t think it’s made any difference.

Nano sapiens

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Has anyone successfully rid their tank of Digitate hydroids after they have reached pest levels?? apparently there are nudibranch out there that will eat them, but you can’t buy them anywhere. I’ve tried a couple Halloween hermits and I don’t think it’s made any difference.

I've managed to get them under control, but not quite completely eliminate them. It has taken about a year and I believe that my Halloween Hermit has helped (more effective with my colonial hydroids, though). They can't get the ones with the foot in the cracks and crevices, so only when they move and the foot is visible can the Halloween eat them.

The best way to get them to move is to pinch off as much of the stalk as possible with a tweezer. A few times doing this and they tend to pack it up for greener pastures and become vulnerable to you and your tweezer and the Hermit.

And for those that refuse to move, reef safe epoxy works as long as you plug any and all escape routes.

MollyDog

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m having the same issue but have been told to wait it out. After doing so there’s now 100s of them in my 20g long tanks. Attached are some pictures. No way to glue them as they don’t seem to have a main foot like many people have mentioned. Primarily on the sand bed but also all over the rocks. Causing my zooanthids to stay shut often.

BRS

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%
WWW.ANIMATEDCORALS.COM
Back