Did this starfish kill my Brain coral during shipping?

BRS

Saskdevil

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I live in Northern Canada and the nearest Saltwater store is about 7 hours away, so everything we have gets shipped. We cross our fingers and pray things survive shipping. That being said mostly everything usually does survive. Almost all shipments take 3 days to get here with FedEx priority overnight. However, today I had a brain coral arive and the skeleton was exposed around the mouth! Upon closer inspection of the bag, I found a starfish. I'm not sure of the starfish species, but is it possible this is what killed the coral?

received_3070955526496459.jpeg received_1160582101410463.jpeg

Top Shelf Aquatics

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No. It is a asterina star. I have many. They mostly easy algae.. one kind may munch on zoas a bit.

It did not do that type of damage.

That coral isn’t the best shipper. Three days is a long time. Isn’t it still kind of cold too?

OP
OP
Saskdevil

Saskdevil

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No. It is a asterina star. I have many. They mostly easy algae.. one kind may munch on zoas a bit.

It did not do that type of damage.

That coral isn’t the best shipper. Three days is a long time. Isn’t it still kind of cold too?
The store thought the time was a factor as well, the think they can ship a replacement and it will survive in a bigger bag. The corals are shipped in thick foam coolers with serval heating packets inside. We typically read the inside temperature of the cooler to be around 75. Hmmm.... Perhaps the brain the coral may need to wait until I'm the city next.

Last edited:
BRS

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%
First Choice
Back