Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got a candy striped PS and YWG pair last week. At the same time I also got a firefish.

The firefish seemed to like hanging out with the YWG and PS, even jumping into their cave! Unfortunately, this morning I found the firefish dead infront of the cave!

I'm wondering: did the PS get unhappy with the firefish in his cave and shoot him? Is this possible? I'm not even sure how deadly a PS can be in shallow water (lower water pressure).

I was thinking of getting a new firefish but don't want to subject it to a similar fate. Alternatively, the firefish might have just been stressed in the new tank and died of its own accord.

Let me know what you think!

Top Shelf Aquatics

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got a candy striped PS and YWG pair last week. At the same time I also got a firefish.

The firefish seemed to like hanging out with the YWG and PS, even jumping into their cave! Unfortunately, this morning I found the firefish dead infront of the cave!

I'm wondering: did the PS get unhappy with the firefish in his cave and shoot him? Is this possible? I'm not even sure how deadly a PS can be in shallow water (lower water pressure).

I was thinking of getting a new firefish but don't want to subject it to a similar fate. Alternatively, the firefish might have just been stressed in the new tank and died of its own accord.

Let me know what you think!
I doubt a Candy Cane would kill the fire fish, did the body have any proof of an attack and do you know if it was a fresh(ish) body?

OP
OP
mizimmer90

mizimmer90

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I doubt a Candy Cane would kill the fire fish, did the body have any proof of an attack and do you know if it was a fresh(ish) body?

I hadn't seen the firefish for a whole day before the body turned up. The body looked completely pale, so probably not fresh. Would there be certain marks if it were a PS?

Another concern I had: my PS has been digging like crazy and piling massive mounds of sand. Yesterday I pushed a big mound of sand back into the rock. Could I have buried the firefish hanging out in the cave? Would a PS, YWG, or firefish be able to dig their way out?

World Wide Corals

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I hadn't seen the firefish for a whole day before the body turned up. The body looked completely pale, so probably not fresh. Would there be certain marks if it were a PS?

Another concern I had: my PS has been digging like crazy and piling massive mounds of sand. Yesterday I pushed a big mound of sand back into the rock. Could I have buried the firefish hanging out in the cave? Would a PS, YWG, or firefish be able to dig their way out?
Chances are if it were to be an attack, you would’ve seen torn/chewed fins. Also there would be a high chance of some form of wound on the body.

As for any of them being able to get out of that situation, chances are that all of them are able to. They’re all animals that hide in burrows and therefor risk some chance of being stuck in a collapsed tunnel.

OP
OP
mizimmer90

mizimmer90

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Chances are if it were to be an attack, you would’ve seen torn/chewed fins. Also there would be a high chance of some form of wound on the body.

As for any of them being able to get out of that situation, chances are that all of them are able to. They’re all animals that hide in burrows and therefor risk some chance of being stuck in a collapsed tunnel.

How obvious would it be? The body was completely pale and potentially already degrading by the time I found it.

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How obvious would it be? The body was completely pale and potentially already degrading by the time I found it.
Generally it’s quite obvious (Usually you will see torn up fins as they won’t look like the normal shape and instead tend to be jagged.

Top Shelf Aquatics
Nutramar

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%

World Wide Corals
Back