Diatom outbreak

NLReefer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m having issues with my reef tank. I believe it is a diatom outbreak and hoping you can give some advice. I’ve attached a photo. It is a 60Gal tall with Eshopps R-100 Refugium sump with chaeto in the refugium. The tank has been set up for around 7 years with a light stocking of two ocellaris clowns and two pj cardinal’s.

Unfortunately, the tank has never really thrived but recently Iv’e had some bad luck with the tank. Most of my clean up crew has been killed by a pistol shrimp except for one large turbo snail, and my overflow broke and has been out of commission for over a week as well so no skimming or filtering. I’ve done a 100% water change and removed all of the rock, to clean and returned, but it returned almost overnight. I recently purchased a Hannah low range phosphate checker which read 0 but after checking my mixing tank it had a reading of 0.02ppm.

I’ve been running rowa phos for a week and phosguard for around 2 weeks. I'm hoping running the rowa phos and another large water change will clean up the outbreak. I am currently working on an order for some clean up crew as well: Strawberry conch, Halloween crab, emerald crab, hermit crabs and snails (cerith, nassarius, trochus and astrea).

image0.jpeg

Formulator

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That looks like you may be dealing with dinoflagellates, not diatoms. Stop removing phosphate! Having zero nutrients invites these pests. You should be targeting a stable phosphate level of 0.1 ppm and nitrate of 10-20 ppm. If anything you may need to add some phosphate. What are your nitrates at? Considering your 100% water change, I imagine pretty low. You will need to raise those as well. Having no filtration will help.

Here is a comprehensive article on dino treatment. Step one is getting your nutrients above zero.

Dino Treatment Guide

In general, if you have been striving for extremely low/zero nutrients for your entire reefing career, that may actually explain why the tank has never thrived…

Dan_P

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m having issues with my reef tank. I believe it is a diatom outbreak and hoping you can give some advice. I’ve attached a photo. It is a 60Gal tall with Eshopps R-100 Refugium sump with chaeto in the refugium. The tank has been set up for around 7 years with a light stocking of two ocellaris clowns and two pj cardinal’s.

Unfortunately, the tank has never really thrived but recently Iv’e had some bad luck with the tank. Most of my clean up crew has been killed by a pistol shrimp except for one large turbo snail, and my overflow broke and has been out of commission for over a week as well so no skimming or filtering. I’ve done a 100% water change and removed all of the rock, to clean and returned, but it returned almost overnight. I recently purchased a Hannah low range phosphate checker which read 0 but after checking my mixing tank it had a reading of 0.02ppm.

I’ve been running rowa phos for a week and phosguard for around 2 weeks. I'm hoping running the rowa phos and another large water change will clean up the outbreak. I am currently working on an order for some clean up crew as well: Strawberry conch, Halloween crab, emerald crab, hermit crabs and snails (cerith, nassarius, trochus and astrea).

image0.jpeg
This stringy and slimy growth may not be one species. It might be a mix of algae and cyanobacteria infested with dinoflagellates. Chrysophytes are also a possibility. A microscope would come in handy.

GARRIGA

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No clue what you have but as a point to diatoms. I no longer bother worrying about them in a new tank setup. Best solution I’ve found is removing silicate which then can lead to dino. Best let the tank naturally mature as diatoms tend to be temporary.

As suggested. Microscope might help. Something I myself need to acquire.

Formulator

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got this one earlier this year for a little over $100: AmScope

Saved me a lot of trouble as I was about to embark on a battle with dino and it turned out all I had was a colony of Rhodomonas on the glass that I ended up leaving alone as it is beneficial coral food. It was nothing like what you have though.

TOP 10 Trending Threads

Back