Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m looking to add a sand sifting goby in, they do a good job but above all I just love how they look! I wanted to get some opinions though, which of these is less likely to jump? I know they both are able to, but is one less likely? That would primarily be the deciding factor, given I don’t have a lid at the moment. I know it’s common but are all of these guys jumpers? Or is it just common but most don’t? Seems like lots of people keep these and most don’t have lids on their tanks. I hear people say it 100% will eventually jump - is this overblown or accurate? I’m also open to other attractive looking sand sifting gobies that might be less likely to jump, these were just the ones that jump out at me. For context I have a 180g 6’x2’x2’ tank.

Corals.com

ddoi07

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just lost my diamond goby a couple weeks ago. I have a lid but he must have jumped out through one of the cracks. Found him on the floor the next day. Going to get another soon. I like that they keep the sand nice and clean

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m looking to add a sand sifting goby in, they do a good job but above all I just love how they look! I wanted to get some opinions though, which of these is less likely to jump? I know they both are able to, but is one less likely? That would primarily be the deciding factor, given I don’t have a lid at the moment. I know it’s common but are all of these guys jumpers? Or is it just common but most don’t? Seems like lots of people keep these and most don’t have lids on their tanks. I hear people say it 100% will eventually jump - is this overblown or accurate? I’m also open to other attractive looking sand sifting gobies that might be less likely to jump, these were just the ones that jump out at me. For context I have a 180g 6’x2’x2’ tank.
All species from Valenciennea are known for jumping, it’s hard to avoid that.
To tell you if your tank is enough to suffice for a specimen from this genus, I would need an idea of sandbed age, depth and an FTS showing that sandbed.
For example;
313F25CC-D265-4A13-992E-C03FECFAFFAD.jpeg

CLICK TO VIEW

AC1211

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine tried jumping out once ended up in the overflow. Diamond watchman will jump but so will all of the genus.
Also be aware they will bury any coral on the sand bed. Also, mine moved sand to the top of the rockwork and ticked off acropora and torches. I ended up unable to keep any corals in the tank because mine kept on burying them. Heck one time mine pulled a torch frag off the rocks that wasn't fully glued down. I probably had a rare case but be aware they might bury some corals.

Nutramar

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%

Pirates Reef Corals
Back