Desperate for help, tank crash imminent! (pics)

HellaDudes

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So the past week has been a bad one for my reef tank. Everything was looking good until about a week ago. Almost all my LPS, especially my euphyllia, are receding/not opening up their polyps at all (see pics below). Some of the soft corals are doing terribly; my kenya tree and ricordia mushrooms are all shriveled up. The tank is 6 months old and started with dry rock and live sand. The tank is a 14 gallon IM AIO. I run a skimmer, filter pads, carbon, purigen, and a little GFO. I run an AI Prime HD 16 at about 35% instensity, 9 inches above the water surface. I have been battling a small dino outbreak in the sandbed lately and I'm worried that some of my corrective action may be hurting the tank.

I have been siphoning out the dinos from the sand bed almost every evening, running the tank water through a filter sock and returning it to the tank. This has helped keep the dinos under control. After siphoning I have been dosing Dr. Tim's waste away at half the recommended dose before the lights go out. I have never had cloudy water/bacterial bloom from this. My skimmer pulled out a lot more junk than usual while doing this and actually lowered my nitrates from 12 to 3 over the course of a week or so without doing any water changes. I have also been dosing about 8 ml of phytoplankton per day because I read that it helps combat the dinos. Generally, this seems to be reducing the dino population dramatically but during this time the health of my corals has declined significantly. I'd say more than half the corals in the tank are doing terribly, some look close to death.

For dosing, I started using kalkwasser in my ATO and half a tsp. per gallon was plenty for the last couple months keeping my Dkh at about 8.5 up until recently. In one week, my alk went from 8.5 to 9.5 so I cut the kalkwasser in half and only used a 1/4 tsp in ATO for the next week. Despite that, my alk shot from 9.5 to 11.2 in the following week! This leads me to believe that my tank is no longer consumer alkalinity so I am no longer dosing until the the level comes down. Oddly enough, my calcium and magnesium remained stable during this time. I did a small water change to lower the alk slightly.

Oh, and here are the current tank parameters:

Salinity: 34.3 ppt
Temp: 77-79 F
Ph: 8.2 (daytime)
Alkalinity: 10.6 Dkh
Calcium: 430 ppm
Magnesium: 1340 ppm
Nitrate: 3ppm
Phosphate: .03 ppm

I sent out an ICP yesterday and I have stopped dosing bacteria and phytoplankton as of today. I also don't plan on disturbing the substrate anymore for a while. I have included pics of all the corals that are suffering. Take note especially of the walling hammer (up front) and kenya tree (in back). It has been several days that they have looked like this but none of corals look very healthy EXCEPT THE SPS AND ZOAS. For some reason, they still look fine.

What is going on? Why does my reef seem to be dying? I am desperate for help, I cannot afford to tear down the tank and start a new one. If this tank dies, I have no choice but to leave the hobby for the time being. PLEASE HELP!!!
20200822_113850.jpg
20200822_113841.jpg
20200822_113917.jpg
20200822_113938.jpg

www.dinkinsaquaticgardens.com

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
Review score
+12 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+12 /0 /-0
Wisconsin - Florida delayed due 2 hurricane damage
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
Dont look horrible. here is a few things to do and check:

-Reduce white intensity a little and increase blue
-Assure you have moderate flow (not blasting them)
- lift one of the hammer pieces and look underneath for any little bugs or anything crawling around

Test and verify:
-Salinity
-temperature
-Nitrate level
-PH
-Alk
-Magnesium level

SPR1968

No, it wasn’t expensive dear....
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dinoflagellates can release toxins at any point, so if your ‘annoying them’ in a tank of that size it could be the issue.

I would go for large water changes (with similar water parameters) and maybe increase the amount of carbon and see if that helps.

K7BMG

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
With the changes you have stated in the short time frame its no doubt the corals are having some troubles.

I feel its a combination of things.
Foremost is to many induced changes to fast.
Maybe stop and let the tank find its balance and become stable.

OP
OP
HellaDudes

HellaDudes

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
With the changes you have stated in the short time frame its no doubt the corals are having some troubles.

I feel its a combination of things.
Foremost is to many induced changes to fast.
Maybe stop and let the tank find its balance and become stable.
For sure. I think a cessation of any radical changes to "correct" this issue is in order.

BRS
OP
OP
HellaDudes

HellaDudes

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dinoflagellates can release toxins at any point, so if your ‘annoying them’ in a tank of that size it could be the issue.

I would go for large water changes (with similar water parameters) and maybe increase the amount of carbon and see if that helps.
Hmm, good point.. I'm gonna just gonna try to leave the dinos alone for a bit, they are not too out of control anyways. As far as water changes go, I'll do one tonight but make sure to buffer for alk first.

OP
OP
HellaDudes

HellaDudes

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dont look horrible. here is a few things to do and check:

-Reduce white intensity a little and increase blue
-Assure you have moderate flow (not blasting them)
- lift one of the hammer pieces and look underneath for any little bugs or anything crawling around

Test and verify:
-Salinity
-temperature
-Nitrate level
-PH
-Alk
-Magnesium level
I only run whites for about 5 hours out of the day. Should I still reduce intensity? I was worried my flow was not adequate so I cleaned my powerhead and flow has increased dramatically because of it. Hopefully this helps...

AquaCave Logo Banner

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
Review score
+12 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+12 /0 /-0
Wisconsin - Florida delayed due 2 hurricane damage
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
I only run whites for about 5 hours out of the day. Should I still reduce intensity? I was worried my flow was not adequate so I cleaned my powerhead and flow has increased dramatically because of it. Hopefully this helps...
Just slightly but run blues for 12 hours

SPR1968

No, it wasn’t expensive dear....
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
yeah, probably, but why did the corals stop consuming alk in the first place?
Because they were struggling to grow for whatever the reason.

Stability of water parameters is the key to any reef tank, so changes will can cause issues. But the fact you have a Dino problem as well, in such a small amount of water makes me think of toxins being released.

Top Shelf Aquatics
OP
OP
HellaDudes

HellaDudes

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Because they were struggling to grow for whatever the reason.

Stability of water parameters is the key to any reef tank, so changes will can cause issues. But the fact you have a Dino problem as well, in such a small amount of water makes me think of toxins being released.
I've definitely been trying to avoid rapid changes. The alk spiking and nitrate dropping were both total accidents, but I agree that all this "corrective" actions on the dinos has been negatively affecting coral health. The only thing I was doing consistently when alk stopped being consumed was siphoning the sand on a regular basis so I'm guessing these toxins inhibited growth which lead to the alk spike.

The big question I have in my head now is: Water change or no water change? I'm kinda scared to over-react now...

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%
NYOS
Back