Deskmate 4.8 gallon return pump chamber low water

ChasingWaves

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I recently got a Deskmate 4.8 gallon, I am using the stock return pump and it seems like every 8 hours I have put water into the tank because the return pump chamber is losing water. I thought maybe if I turn down the rate it would help but it is not. What should to help decrease the activity.

Please note I can have the return chamber about 3/4 full and in about 8 hrs it will drop to a 1/4 full.

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Welcome to your new home for saltwater reef aquarium resources and fun! Welcome to the family! :D
welcome-home-logo-greeting-png.1484246

Gumbies R Us

Certified Noob
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I recently got a Deskmate 4.8 gallon, I am using the stock return pump and it seems like every 8 hours I have put water into the tank because the return pump chamber is losing water. I thought maybe if I turn down the rate it would help but it is not. What should to help decrease the activity.

Please note I can have the return chamber about 3/4 full and in about 8 hrs it will drop to a 1/4 full.
Hey welcome to reef2reef! I would ask your question in the general discussion forum. You will get more responses there!

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
15   0   0

Vivid Creative Aquatics

Upgrade Your Flow!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

It sounds like evaporation to me - are you running an Autotop off?

The tank will evaporate water over time, and would cause the return chamber level to drop over an 8 hour period. Faster if your in a dry environment, like we are.

Be sure to add fresh water (OR or RO/DI) since the salt will be left behind as the saltwater evaporates.

VintageReefer

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
It’s evaporation. The smaller the tank the faster it’s noticed. You keep adding water every 8 hours…where is it going? If you don’t have a puddle under the tank, and the display isn’t overflowing, it’s evaporating. You need a solid lid covering every exposed section, or an auto top off, or keep a pitcher of rodi nearby and to refill regularly

Keep in mind this affects your salinity. As water evaporates the existing water salinity also increases. And in small tanks this can be a lot of difference. I would measure salinity when it’s full vs 8-12 hours later after the evaporation to see what kind of swing range you are dealing with

PharmrJohn

The Dude Abides
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

AaaR2R2.gif

Welcome to the BillBoard! And Welcome to evaporation. It's normal. Depends on surface area and how much surface agitation ya got.

Fish Fan

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to Reef2Reef!

+1 for evaporation!

When freshwater evaporates out of your tank, you will "see" this evaporation in the return section of your AIO filter. Your tank is working as it should. Top up manually often, or look into an Automatic Top Off (ATO) unit, which will *automagically* replace fresh water that evaporates. This has the added benefit of keeping the salinity level in your tank much more stable, which corals will appreciate.

Best of luck with your tank!

TOP 10 Trending Threads

Back