Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've got a 48x18x24 90-gallon up and running. I've been waiting to turn the lights on (I followed the BRS 5-minute guide for setup) and found that my Aqumai/Hydor lights have died out on me. I bought the setup second hand and I'm learning my lesson on a few things.

So, now I'm ready to turn the lights on and get some corals going, but I have no lights. I'll likely start with softies and LPS, then maybe add some SPS as I get more experience. I've been looking around and the more I look the more confused I get about what I want/need. The tank has a hood, so I can hang the lights from there or I can lose the hood and use a mounting arm. I'm open to both ideas.

The Radion XR30 G6 Pro seems to be the top of the line, but do I need to drop over a grand on lighting? Are there other options out there that might cost a bit less, but deliver what I need?

I'm floundering a bit here, pun intended, and I need some guidance. Any and all suggestions are welcomed.

Thanks fellow reefers!!

Last edited:
Top Shelf Aquatics
Orphek OR3 reef aquarium LED bar

exnisstech

2500 Club Member
Review score
+2 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+2 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm running six Noopsyche K7 pro V3 over a 6ft 180 gallon tank with lps sps softies and nems and everything is thriving. I have several tanks and also have radions xr15 gen 4 and ai hydra 26 and a reefbreeders photon v3I would never pay the price for the big names again after running the noopsyche lights. Just over $200 each with mounting arm. Six is probably overkill. 2 or 3 would probably be plenty for your tank. I mounted mine in my canopy.
20230307_110723.jpg

Last edited:

nereefpat

5000 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are you wanting LEDs, for sure?

What features are important to you? Dimming, ramping up and down, simple on/off, etc?
2 XR30s would be 1900 bucks, or over 2 grand after sales tax. Do you have a budget?

OP
OP
Rob1208

Rob1208

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are you wanting LEDs, for sure?

What features are important to you? Dimming, ramping up and down, simple on/off, etc?
2 XR30s would be 1900 bucks, or over 2 grand after sales tax. Do you have a budget?
I'm still trying to figure out what options I want. I def want ramping up and down, for the natural effect if nothing else. I'd like to stay under 1k total, if possible. I didn't realize I'd need 2 XR30's for my tank... yikes.

Nutramar Foods

Typhon

Force of Nature
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
If you like the BRS videos, I would highly recommend the ones on lighting.

They test a gambit of fixtures with par ratings. Then you can decide which one is right for you based on your price point/budget.

AquaCave Logo Banner

nereefpat

5000 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm still trying to figure out what options I want. I def want ramping up and down, for the natural effect if nothing else. I'd like to stay under 1k total, if possible.
The Reefi unos would be right there at 1000 bucks. I'm hearing nothing but great reviews about them.
Reefbreeders photon has a 48" light that does those things for 750$ or 880$ depending on whether you want a controller or whether you want an App instead.
2 AI Hydras would be under 900 bucks. If you decide you need it, you could add "bar" of some sort and still be at budget.
Noopsyche K7 is similar form to a AI Hydra. Also cheaper but yet more watts, the downside is the janky controller.
The cheapest is probably the Nicrew hyperreef lineup on Amazon. If going that route, I would pick the 150 watt fixture x 2 to cover 4 feet. That would be about $400 total.
I didn't realize I'd need 2 XR30's for my tank... yikes.
I am figuring 1 to cover each 2 foot section. If you hang them high, they may cover more area than that, but it will be dim and shadowed. It's a 11" LED panel, so despite claims, I'm not buying the advertised spread.

afrokobe

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Two Reefi Uno Pro 2.0 or some Quanta Pros with a couple Kessil's. I would buy the Reefi's over Radions all day long.
love me some quanta pros outside of the lack of dimming. Going to be trying reefi uno 2.0 next

www.dinkinsaquaticgardens.com
OP
OP
Rob1208

Rob1208

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm running six Noopsyche K7 pro V3 over a 6ft 180 gallon tank with lps sps softies and nems and everything is thriving. I have several tanks and also have radions xr15 gen 4 and ai hydra 26 and a reefbreeders photon v3I would never pay the price for the big names again after running the noopsyche lights. Just over $200 each with mounting arm. Six is probably overkill. 2 or 3 would probably be plenty for your tank. I mounted mine in my canopy. View attachment 3097135
Wow, this looks great! I'll take a look at the Noopsyche K7 pro V3 for sure! How long have you had them running?

OP
OP
Rob1208

Rob1208

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you like the BRS videos, I would highly recommend the ones on lighting.

They test a gambit of fixtures with par ratings. Then you can decide which one is right for you based on your price point/budget.
I have this video queued up for later today. Thanks for the tip!

exnisstech

2500 Club Member
Review score
+2 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+2 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow, this looks great! I'll take a look at the Noopsyche K7 pro V3 for sure! How long have you had them running?
I bought 4 last October and 2 more in December. There are several members here using them as well as the previous version that used a controller vs the app the new ones use. @Zach B is now a retailer in the states (assuming pleasant hill is in the US)

Top Shelf Aquatics

nereefpat

5000 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are there benefits on avoiding LED?
There are potential benefits and drawbacks to all 3: halide, T5, LED. You can also hybridize.

Potential drawbacks to LEDs are, off the top of my head:
Sometimes startup costs are cost prohibitive, like your 2 XR30s to light a 90 gallon costing 2 grand.
When fixtures go bad, they are difficult or impossible to repair, so you have to buy a new expensive fixture...compared to replacing parts on a T5 ro MH fixture.
Shadowing problems.
"Disco" effect.
Having to find settings, and people messing too much with them, compared to set it and forget it MH/T5.
Lighting large areas can be difficult, especially with 'puck' style LEDs.
I'm probably forgetting a topic too.

RedoubtReef

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are there benefits on avoiding LED?
I think there are. LED fixtures tend to have built in obsolescence. The fixtures are changing so frequently that after a few years parts are not provided and they won't service them so you are only left with an option to replace. I used Radion's for over 10 years and now I'm going back to halide/T5.
If I were going to recommend a fixture now, I'd say ATI for T5 only or Reefbrite for a halide/T5 combo or Halide/led combo. They have some nice fixtures that use LED for supplementation.

OP
OP
Rob1208

Rob1208

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The Reefi unos would be right there at 1000 bucks. I'm hearing nothing but great reviews about them.
Reefbreeders photon has a 48" light that does those things for 750$ or 880$ depending on whether you want a controller or whether you want an App instead.
2 AI Hydras would be under 900 bucks. If you decide you need it, you could add "bar" of some sort and still be at budget.
Noopsyche K7 is similar form to a AI Hydra. Also cheaper but yet more watts, the downside is the janky controller.
The cheapest is probably the Nicrew hyperreef lineup on Amazon. If going that route, I would pick the 150 watt fixture x 2 to cover 4 feet. That would be about $400 total.

I am figuring 1 to cover each 2 foot section. If you hang them high, they may cover more area than that, but it will be dim and shadowed. It's a 11" LED panel, so despite claims, I'm not buying the advertised spread.
The more I look into the Reefbreeders Photon, the more I like it. I'd be fine with the V2+, but it looks to be discontinued. Would I need the 48 or would the 32 be enough?

nereefpat

5000 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The more I look into the Reefbreeders Photon, the more I like it. I'd be fine with the V2+, but it looks to be discontinued. Would I need the 48 or would the 32 be enough?
I haven't used Reefbreeders. People seem to really like them. I've seen some really nice SPS tanks lit with Photons. If I was choosing LED for a 4' 90 gallon, they would be on my short list. With 'panel' style or bars or strips, I would get the fixture as long as the tank. @Ron Reefman could tell you anything you wanted to know about them.

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%
Back