Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey everyone, I have a 5.5 yr old system. The system has been on auto pilot for well over a couple years now, in terms of precise stability, steady and equal growth throughout the entire tank. In the month of December I started to notice some alkalinity swings from the trident. The month prior I ran out of GFO and procrastinated on buying more. This led my phosphates to go from 0.1 -.16 to maxing out the ULR ppb reader flashing 200+ ppb which is .6+.

After digging into the alkalinity issue it turns out something was up with my trident. My trident was reading anywhere from 7.5 to 8.8 throughout two or three days. It would constantly bounce around from different numbers within that range. Unfortunately I stopped my backup testing because I got two complacent. When I took out the Hannah the Hannah would read approximately .5 to 1 PPM higher than the Trident was. So I'm going to say that I've had some big alkalinity swings. My set target is 8.3 alk. Historically the tank would consume 110-120ml of alk per 24 hrs. During the "swings" those dos was reading 120-150ml per 24 hrs. My trident controls the dosing.

I first noticed some burnt tips on a couple of colonies. Then I started to notice fading on others. Big patches of flesh missing from underneath colonies, or around the bases of their trunks. Then it just started to get worse from there over the past 2 weeks I went from seeing one or two to almost the entire tank now. Each morning there's more and more damage that you'll see. Flesh is just peeling off of the acros from the tips, from the base of the encrusting, and the underside of the acros.

I added some GFO and working to get the number down currently sitting at 125 ppb. Nitrates are around 40 to 45 which is pretty normal.

The LPS show no signs outside of a jawbreaker colony, where one mushroom is bright orange almost as if it had light burn.

The only other thing that I noticed over the past month was a massive jump in ORP. Normally my ORP is around 325 to 350. It jumped to an average of 450 to 475.

Ironically even with the extremely high phosphate I have almost no algea growth outside of some bubble algae, and a few small patches of green hair which is also pretty normal for me. So basically we even with this massive jump I see no additional algea growth.

Colors on the acros have also declined, with many losing multicolor and just going to a solid color. This is normal for instability issues I believe. The hard part to digest here is how much of a decline is acros are taking. At this point I've lost three colonies, and with the rate of new damage I'm seeing every morning I think there are going to be more coming.

I have some pictures attached, curious to see if there's a such thing as phosphate poisoning. In addition curious to hear thoughts on how quickly I should try to get those phosphates down and why with such a large jump there's not much alge growth.

Reagents for all checkers are new, I've also opened up multiple boxes in case one batch was bad. And I've also calibrated as to verify a checker was not off on calibration.

Looking forward to hearing everyone's thoughts and advice on the steps to take.

PXL_20230121_133453688.MP.jpg PXL_20230121_133431064.MP.jpg PXL_20230121_133406791.MP.jpg PXL_20230121_133358732.MP.jpg PXL_20230121_133345803.MP.jpg PXL_20230121_133332098.MP.jpg PXL_20230121_133326338.MP.jpg PXL_20230121_133322261.MP.jpg PXL_20230121_133318022.MP.jpg PXL_20230121_133311359.MP.jpg PXL_20230121_133306428.MP.jpg

Last edited:
AquaCave Logo Banner

ScottB

7500 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd be triple checking your RODI set up to start. That is an accelerated nutrient build up.

Yes, the nutrient levels are too high but don't strip too fast. That will add stress. WC for nitrates. I prefer lanthanum chloride for managing phosphates but GO SLOW.

OP
OP
RMS18

RMS18

I keep water chemistry as my hobby
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd be triple checking your RODI set up to start. That is an accelerated nutrient build up.

Yes, the nutrient levels are too high but don't strip too fast. That will add stress. WC for nitrates. I prefer lanthanum chloride for managing phosphates but GO SLOW.
This system has always been prone to po4, if I'm not constantly running GFO it will raise. I feed 3 times a day, so roughly 8 cubes a day into 120gal. Would a high P level cause these issues? Or are we accounting this damage for the all swings?

I have plans to cut off the damaged tips this week. Algae growth on the skeleton will not help recovery.

OP
OP
RMS18

RMS18

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any chance your sand has built up a bunch of gunk and is starting to cause problems?
I do clean 1/3 of the sand bed every 2 months. So the sand bed fully get vacuumed twice a year about. In addition I have 5 large wrasses that sleep in the sand, plus a ton of snails that burrow. The bed should have enough turn to not become an problem.

ScottB

7500 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This system has always been prone to po4, if I'm not constantly running GFO it will raise. I feed 3 times a day, so roughly 8 cubes a day into 120gal. Would a high P level cause these issues? Or are we accounting this damage for the all swings?

I have plans to cut off the damaged tips this week. Algae growth on the skeleton will not help recovery.
I am not a promoter of the idea that some ALK swings make much difference even for acropora. Out of a hundred different sticks I keep only a few have ever fussed when mine swings between 6.5 and 8.5. True story: I butt-dialed 1/2 liter of ALK into what was then around 160G. They slimed up a bit but nothing up and died but a blasto. That was a real eye opener.

Something is definitely amiss with your water given all that flesh damage. I would send a water sample to Triton in California pronto. Just a week or so ago, I shipped on Saturday and got my results on Thursday I think.

www.dinkinsaquaticgardens.com
OP
OP
RMS18

RMS18

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am not a promoter of the idea that some ALK swings make much difference even for acropora. Out of a hundred different sticks I keep only a few have ever fussed when mine swings between 6.5 and 8.5. True story: I butt-dialed 1/2 liter of ALK into what was then around 160G. They slimed up a bit but nothing up and died but a blasto. That was a real eye opener.

Something is definitely amiss with your water given all that flesh damage. I would send a water sample to Triton in California pronto. Just a week or so ago, I shipped on Saturday and got my results on Thursday I think.
I do have a ICP on hand, I'll get a sample out. The last note I'll add is my acros have never extended their filaments like they do now when I feed my fish. Historically one or two might extend their filaments two or three millimeters. Now 95% of the colonies extend their filaments a quarter of an inch to a half an inch. There are some colonies I've never even seen extend films that are doing that now during feeding.

peterhos

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would go with the second or is it the third law of thermodynamics dynamics , I.E.All things tend towards disorder. Presumably all mature tanks peak and then get kept looking great with additives etc, but then comes a time when naturally things must decline. So, apart from some water changes to refresh things, how apart pruning stuff and giving corals some space and room to grow some more. PS I am new to SPS and to me your tank looks great.

peterhos

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would go with the second or is it the third law of thermodynamics dynamics , I.E.All things tend towards disorder. Presumably all mature tanks peak and then get kept looking great with additives etc, but then comes a time when naturally things must decline. So, apart from some water changes to refresh things, how apart pruning stuff and giving corals some space and room to grow some more. PS I am new to SPS and to me your tank looks great.

Avast
OP
OP
RMS18

RMS18

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The 7 stage has all new filters and resin, they were changed 3-4 months ago. Sediment is due to be changed mainly for slower flow through the rodo system. I'll test the rodi for nutrients, and send a ICP out with tank water. I only use the Reef moonshiner program and have been for a year now. Nothing else gets dosed ever.

spsick

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This sounds like a job for sps 911 with Battleman! @Battlecorals

So we’ve covered sand and input water. My only other thoughts would be possible new batch of salt? And then going back to the basics and double checking all of your important tests (salinity, alk, etc) and get that ICP out. May be none of these things.

You had a huge destabilizing event which is really tough on big mature colonies. This was probably all it took to put your tank into chaos. Now you just gotta do what you already know is best. Get back to stability, get those dying corals chopped up, and keep your head up!

BRS
www.dinkinsaquaticgardens.com
OP
OP
RMS18

RMS18

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How often do you do water changes and how much? Is it every two months when you clean the sand bed? How big of a change each time?
System is on auto water change, 3gal every 24 hr. When I do do the sand bed usually 15-20gallons. System is 120g in total.

TX_Punisher

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I only use the Reef moonshiner program and have been for a year now. Nothing else gets dosed ever.

System is on auto water change, 3gal every 24 hr. When I do do the sand bed usually 15-20gallons. System is 120g in total.

Are you sure you’re not high in some of the replaced elements in The moonshiners Program by doing daily water changes AND daily drops from the shine?

just a thought.

Rams

Valuable Member
Review score
+3 /0 /-1
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+3 /0 /-1
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Are you sure you’re not high in some of the replaced elements in The moonshiners Program by doing daily water changes AND daily drops from the shine?

just a thought.
Plus 1 on this as people won't do water changes during moonshiner program

OP
OP
RMS18

RMS18

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

just a thought.
Well I've been on the program for like I said over a year I put an ICP test out every 2 to 3 months and I am never at the recommended levels on any of the elements that the program wants my system at. Performing water changes actually the depletes the levels, The reason why people don't do water changes is so that they don't just flush out the elements that they're paying for. Blue bucket doesn't contain hardly any of those elements, and my first initial ICP test basically showed zero readings on almost everything outside of potassium and strontium. But I like where your head's at thinking outside the box!

TCK Corals

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%

Back