Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi there, my 130 gallon DT tank (plus 30 gallon sump) has encountered it's first dead fish (Bimac Anthias that went in last weekend). I have a custom tank which is 42" in height and due to the height of the tank and where the dead fish is located (very bottom of the tank wedged in some rocks), I can't get to it to get it out. I've tried a long pair of tongs but the angle just makes it impossible. The only choice would be to take all the rocks out but that just seems light a nightmare and would stress out all the other fish (1 rock beauty, 1 niger trigger, 1 blue tang, 1 tomini tang, 1 flame angel, 2 maroon clowns, and 2 other Bimac Anthias). I don't have a CUC yet and am planning on putting in some snails in a few months. I am doing a daily 3 gallon water change via a Neptune DOS. My water parameters right now are all perfect. I have a UV sterilizer, carbon reactor, and rowapahos reactor all running 24/7. So my question is, how bad is it to have a dead and decaying fish in the tank with nothing that will eat it? Will my tank be able to handle the increased bioload? Anything I can do to help this? The tank is doing so well and I've been going so slow and now this :( Any help would be greatly appreciated! Thank you!

Nutramar Foods
Orphek OR3 reef aquarium LED bar

LordofCinder

2500 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use a big serving spoon to try to get as close as possible and create a current to try to push the fish along (or loose corals)

Or you can try a powehead and try angling the current to try to push it out where you can reach it.

OP
OP
N

nyc_love

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I actually tried the power head trick but it's wedged itself into a part of the rock where there is no easy way to blow it out. Using the power head unfortunately just pushed it further it. Sigh.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
Review score
+12 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+12 /0 /-0
Wisconsin - Florida delayed due 2 hurricane damage
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
Hi there, my 130 gallon DT tank (plus 30 gallon sump) has encountered it's first dead fish (Bimac Anthias that went in last weekend). I have a custom tank which is 42" in height and due to the height of the tank and where the dead fish is located (very bottom of the tank wedged in some rocks), I can't get to it to get it out. I've tried a long pair of tongs but the angle just makes it impossible. The only choice would be to take all the rocks out but that just seems light a nightmare and would stress out all the other fish (1 rock beauty, 1 niger trigger, 1 blue tang, 1 tomini tang, 1 flame angel, 2 maroon clowns, and 2 other Bimac Anthias). I don't have a CUC yet and am planning on putting in some snails in a few months. I am doing a daily 3 gallon water change via a Neptune DOS. My water parameters right now are all perfect. I have a UV sterilizer, carbon reactor, and rowapahos reactor all running 24/7. So my question is, how bad is it to have a dead and decaying fish in the tank with nothing that will eat it? Will my tank be able to handle the increased bioload? Anything I can do to help this? The tank is doing so well and I've been going so slow and now this :( Any help would be greatly appreciated! Thank you!
dental pick works the best
Harbor freight:
dental picks.png

Top Shelf Aquatics

Tired

2500 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
You should absolutely try to get that out, but you might be okay? Definitely monitor ammonia, but that is a fairly large tank and a fairly small fish.

Definitely get some scavengers in there if you can't pull the fish out. Ceriths might be good- they're multipurpose.

OP
OP
N

nyc_love

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update: I put a Ebili Angelfish into the tank this evening and within 2 hours, it was pecking at the dead anthias and got it dislodged and it floated to the top of the tank and I was able to get it out. So I avoided a problem this time! Lesson learned, get a CUC sorted out soon. Also learned: the Ebili Angel is a bully to every other fish in the aquarium :(

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
Review score
+12 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+12 /0 /-0
Wisconsin - Florida delayed due 2 hurricane damage
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
Update: I put a Ebili Angelfish into the tank this evening and within 2 hours, it was pecking at the dead anthias and got it dislodged and it floated to the top of the tank and I was able to get it out. So I avoided a problem this time! Lesson learned, get a CUC sorted out soon. Also learned: the Ebili Angel is a bully to every other fish in the aquarium :(
Agree and reason i dont have one. Even the eibili tang is a jerk

Eibili.... more like evil eye

Nutramar Foods

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%

Join the movement!
Back