Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is a bit off topic for reefing, but uses the same equipment, so I'm hoping I can get some advice.

We have a spring fed pond on our property that is about 90 feet in diameter. It was originally 8 feet deep when made in 1960, but my measures show it closer to 4 feet now (surrounded by trees that launch leaves into it every fall...)

It presently has no aeration, and I'm not eager to trench hundreds of feet from the house to lay electric or air lines, so I'm looking to get a little solar setup. Obviously, I could go with a multi-thousand dollar commercial system that would certainly do the job, but what I'm thinking of trying is to get more motion in at least one small part of the pond for a few hundred dollars using a DIY solar panel, and either an air pump or a water pump to create some aeration.

Sound is a big factor, since my wife cherishes the quite at the pond, so a buzzing, grinding pump sound is a no go. I was thinking of either a DC powerhead (quiet, but will clog) or a DC air pump (maybe buried into the ground with air holes to deaden sound).

I could go the inverter route and use AC, but was hoping to avoid the power loss, etc.). I wasn't thinking to use a battery for storage, just running when direct sun is on the panel (maybe 6 h in summer).

Any thoughts on whether this is likely to be beneficial and/or feasible, and what equipment might be best is appreciated.

FWIW, there are no apparent fish in the pond, probably because the two big snapping turtles in it would eat them (they also keep the water fairly muddy when they are active). Lots of frogs of several types, and thousands of wood frog tadpoles in early spring, crayfish are there, which river otters seemed to be feasting on one day last summer.

Thanks in advance. :)

www.dinkinsaquaticgardens.com

Koleswrath

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I hear good things about the Coleman portable solar units for RV's. I would just run an AC air pump off one of those. Costco sells them up here in Canada so returns are easy if you get a lemon. I have an Aquascape air pump that I use all year for my pond. It survives winter in Alberta - no small feat.
I keep mine in a small rubbermaid bin that dampens the noise and provides protection from the elements.

Nutramar Foods
OP
OP
Randy Holmes-Farley

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If sun and wind hits the pond, it should have enough gas exchange. What more are you wanting to do?

Check amazon for solar pond aerators. See if one will meet your needs. Price from $20 to many thousands of dollars.

Thanks. I was hoping for one in between the little koi pond ones on amazon and the big boys for acre sized ponds. :)

OP
OP
Randy Holmes-Farley

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I hear good things about the Coleman portable solar units for RV's. I would just run an AC air pump off one of those. Costco sells them up here in Canada so returns are easy if you get a lemon. I have an Aquascape air pump that I use all year for my pond. It survives winter in Alberta - no small feat.
I keep mine in a small rubbermaid bin that dampens the noise and provides protection from the elements.

I'd need an inverter for that, but it may be the way to go. :)

BeanAnimal

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Randy -

You are looking at 150,000 gallons give or take. There is no "smallish" pump that is going to do much for that.

If mosquitoes area problem, then surface agitation will help and that may take several fountain pumps to create surface ripples. Even at that, the pumps will need to be decent sized. Jebao does make large DC pond pumps, but I am not sure the wattage needed to drive a fountain head. For a 90' pound, I am assuming 2-3 heads would be ideal and offer a bit of aeration as well as surface ripple.

Muffin87

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Alita is considered to be one of the best brands producing freshwater air pump.
It has a range of:
  • Linear Air pumps
  • DC Air pumps
  • Solar Powered Linear Air Pump:
    Ideal for remote unattended operation, ALITA PVM series linear air pumps can be powered directly with properly sized photovoltaic module(s) for off-grid and remote installations. Pump operation can be completely automated, require no third party charge controller or power control module."
I think they'd be able to find an air pump that works well with your situations.

BeanAnimal

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used to have a wholesale account with Alita - great pumps. I just don't see how much will be accomplished by anything reasonable sized, even if used with lift tubes to get water moving.

Is there a seating area or any need or use for a waterfall feature?

Nutramar Foods

BeanAnimal

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
BTW if you do decide to go with air
Lift tubes (DIY) can move water well
Or simple bubblers with EPDM membranes. I am not sure how hard they are to find over 9" or 10" but AES (now owned by pentair) used to sell them at decent price.

AI Nero 5

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%
Buckeye
Back