+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi everyone.
After years in freshwater and the dart frog hobby, I've finally worked up the nerve to get into reefing. I'll describe my ambitions as relatively low: I just want a nice looking tank with happy fish and some coral growth, so you won't be seeing any high end equipment or rare livestock here. I also enjoying tinkering, so I expect lots of DIY.

Plan
* basement location
* 75g rimmed tank (Seapora)
* 29g DIY sump
* DIY stand and floating hood
* FijiCube 1200 external overflow with BA drains
* Jaebo DCP-4000 return
* Bubble Magnus 5 Elite skimmer
* black box LEDs
* powerheads undetermined
* future Reef-Pi controller

Placement
Half of my basement is finished, split by a partition wall (I did the work myself). The original plan was to put a large sump in the unfinished side, but I decided not to after realizing how close it would be to the furnace. So I downsized to a 29g and kept it in the stand. The only spot that really worked was in a corner, so the tank will be 2-sided viewing.

Plumbing
I went with the FijiCube 1200 external overflow to keep the tank as free of clutter as possible. This overflow is also set up for the BeanAnimal drain which was a non-negotiable for me. But the overflow did present some problems as it was clearly designed for higher-end rimless tanks.

First, it was a challenge to find a 75g that wasn't tempered on the back. Something I didn't realize until I blew one up while drilling

shatter.JPEG

After that fiasco, I learned the polarized sunglasses trick and eventually found a tank that did not have a tempered back and could be drilled. But then I hit another snag as I realized the rim was preventing me from getting the return holes high enough to avoid seeing the water line below the rim. Some people cut a section of the rim to accommodate (no thanks), but I decided to add an acrylic sheet to "bulk out" the glass so it was as wide as the rim, making it geometrically the same as rimless. Here's a sketch-up of that:
bulkout.jpg

And here is the finished plumbing. 3/4" single return with 1" BA drains. It's standard PVC spray-painted black. I also brush painted the non-viewing sides of the tank black so the interior side of the overflow is almost invisible in the display tank. After a short time fiddling with the ball valve and secondary height, the return is incredibly quiet.

plumbing.JPEG

bean.JPEG

OP
OP
D

dmb5245

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Scape
I picked up ~80lbs of rock quite cheap from someone getting out of the hobby. It has a different look than most of what I see, but it's nice. It had also sat dry in storage for awhile and I could see dead organics all over it, so I decided to bleach cure it for 2 weeks. Hopefully it works out without too much trouble.

I stacked it into two simple islands and surrounded it with 2" of Fiji Pink. It's not photographing well as I don't have the lights up yet, but it looks good in person.
FTS1.JPEG

FTS2.JPEG

OP
OP
D

dmb5245

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sump
My stand is on the high side, so I used a 29g for the sump with glass baffles. Here is the sketchup design:
sump1.png
sump2.png

And here it is the completed IRL. I mostly stuck to the design, except I eliminated one of the cup holders. I also added a ton of messy silicone!
sump.jpeg

I'll have to add a platform for the skimmer, but that's no big deal. The problem I think I'll have is that the water seems to be flowing over the first baffle into the skimmer chamber rather than through the filter cup. So I might have to play with how the return line lands so it actually gets filtered..

OP
OP
D

dmb5245

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Water Mixing
My mixing station is dead simple. I picked up two food-grade 20g barrels and built a stand for the one to receive RODI water. I tapped two holes - one to drain via gravity to the salt barrel or top-off water and one to avoid a flood and send water to a floor drain if I forget to turn off the RODI.

water.jpeg

The tank is just on the other side of the partition wall, so I can pump mixed salt water to it with a cheapo submersible pond pump.

OP
OP
D

dmb5245

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not a ton to add at this point. I have the tank cycling nitrogen after dosing with ammonia for a few weeks and I hung a pair of black box LEDs a few days ago and have been running 12hrs a day. No algae growing yet.

I do have a question. Besides the bacteria from the Fiji pink sand, the system is basically sterile. I know this is controversial, but would it be worthwhile to add a couple pounds of wet live rock to bring in some good biodiversity - coraline/sponges/pods/worms/etc?

If not, what would you add next?

www.dinkinsaquaticgardens.com

ElementReefer

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not a ton to add at this point. I have the tank cycling nitrogen after dosing with ammonia for a few weeks and I hung a pair of black box LEDs a few days ago and have been running 12hrs a day. No algae growing yet.

I do have a question. Besides the bacteria from the Fiji pink sand, the system is basically sterile. I know this is controversial, but would it be worthwhile to add a couple pounds of wet live rock to bring in some good biodiversity - coraline/sponges/pods/worms/etc?

If not, what would you add next?

As an alternative, you could always ask hobbyists in your area for a piece of live rock. Put it in the sump.

Most of these creatures will come in naturally on frags and invert shells as you populate the tank over time.

Once you start to see diatoms, order some pods from a place like Algae Barn.

OP
OP
D

dmb5245

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMG_8330.jpeg

Added a pair of clowns. My sons were super excited. They seem to be eating well, but looked like they were struggling with the flow so I turned it down for now

Also got the protein skimmer running. I can’t seem to get it dialed in, but hoping it will break in soon

Still no diatoms despite running the lights 12hr a day.

AquaCave

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%
Southwest Aquaculture - a coral lover's dream!
Back