Cylinder tank with central overflow box. Keep it there or cut it and move it to a side?

AI Nero 5

Seancj

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm considering a 60" diameter by 20" tall cylinder tank for my anemone reef upgrade. It currently has a large 9"x 9" overflow box dead center which I'm not too crazy about. I'm thinking about relocate the overflow to the side (which will then become the 'back' of the tank as it sits next to the wall) so that the center of the tank is open. Thinking this will allow for the shallow lagoon style aqua scaping I'm desiring, better flow, and even better for lighting.
Thoughts? Opinions? Advice?
Thanks everyone!

Orphek OR3 reef aquarium LED bar

Glenner’sreef

2500 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It sounds like you have made up your mind. And a good choice I think. A plus in all of this is your ability to now customize your overflow. 3 holes instead of 2, larger hole sizes etc. whatever you might be changing it’s something that will serve you best.

Top Shelf Aquatics

Stevorino

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
JMO but I think most of the appeal of a cylinder tank is that you can view it from all sides.... at least, whenever I've seen one in person that was what made it so cool.

Regardless of overflow placement, if you are planning to put it against the wall anyways, it seems like it's going to lose the essence of what makes it special.

Love the idea, just sharing what my hesitation would be if my wife sprung the idea on me for our home. Good luck!

Nutramar Foods
AI Hydra

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%
UNLEASH THE FULL POTENTIAL OF YOUR REEF
Back