Cycling with AF

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

jhatfield

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
After a full year of delays I'll be starting my first tank (~45 gal total with sump) in a couple weeks and have a few questions about starting a fresh tank with AF Products.

There will be no live rock but perhaps live sand. (?) So basically starting from a clean slate. I would like to start with the probiotic salt right from the start.

What's the preferred method to cycle using AF products?
Should the skimmer and GFO/Carbon reactors be on during the cycle?
Since adding bacteria to the tank does live sand have any benefit?

Much thanks.

Zero Nitrates

I love chalices
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Congrats on your new tank!

I don't use AF products but I keep skimmer off and no carbon when cycling. Sand is helpful although I personally have bare bottom tanks currently. Got tired of cleaning the sand even though it looks better.

saltyphish

Certified Sand Groomer
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would keep reactors and skimmerd off during cycle. For cycling you can either start with bottled bacteria or just toss in a piece of raw shrimp and let it rot. Also live sand has some bacteria in it as well. It will help with cycle. Also adds more space for bacteria to grow and live. I personally run bb on my tank

Anirban

5000 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
After a full year of delays I'll be starting my first tank (~45 gal total with sump) in a couple weeks and have a few questions about starting a fresh tank with AF Products.

There will be no live rock but perhaps live sand. (?) So basically starting from a clean slate. I would like to start with the probiotic salt right from the start.

What's the preferred method to cycle using AF products?
Should the skimmer and GFO/Carbon reactors be on during the cycle?
Since adding bacteria to the tank does live sand have any benefit?

Much thanks.
Hi
First thing ....you need to understand why you will use probiotic salt? It contains beneficial bacteria, amino acid and vitamins. You definitely don't need the amino and vitamin during tank cycling so use their reef salt it will save some money. Treat the tank for 2 weeks with Bio S and then after that shift to Pro BioS. You dont need carbon but you can keep GFO. You dont need live sand but if you have it does not hurt. You can keep the skimmer on too.

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%
Pacific East
Back