+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi
I’m having some trouble cycling my new tank this time around. As always I’ve used dr. Tim’s and things were going along nicely. Numbers were going down as they should. Two days ago I threw in a block from my present tank to help with the establishing of the new tank. My nitrates in my present tank have always been high, but never posed an issue. Everybody has always been happy. It’s a 75 gallon with nitrate of 32.
this morning I checked the new tank and the nitrates were at 75. Two days ago they were 20. A friend of mine says that because I didn’t wash the sand that that is why I’m getting high nitrates. I have to admit that there was residue from the sand in the sump and overflow box, so he told me to do a major water change and siphone as much of the sand as I could. I also cleaned the overflow and the sump as best I could.
I changed about 35 gallons of water and I am still getting a reading of 73.5. What is going on. I didn’t have this issue the last time. I was so looking forward to doing my transfer soon. I used special grade sand the last time as well and didn’t have this happen. Please help. I am confused as to what is happening.
Could it be the block from my old tank or is it truly the sand?

www.dinkinsaquaticgardens.com

furface

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don’t know if it is this but BRIGHTWELL microbactor Start says if you use live sand live rock etc it interferes with the process as it fights with the new bacteria and thus makes the cycling take much much longer, just a thought

Garf

2500 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi
I’m having some trouble cycling my new tank this time around. As always I’ve used dr. Tim’s and things were going along nicely. Numbers were going down as they should. Two days ago I threw in a block from my present tank to help with the establishing of the new tank. My nitrates in my present tank have always been high, but never posed an issue. Everybody has always been happy. It’s a 75 gallon with nitrate of 32.
this morning I checked the new tank and the nitrates were at 75. Two days ago they were 20. A friend of mine says that because I didn’t wash the sand that that is why I’m getting high nitrates. I have to admit that there was residue from the sand in the sump and overflow box, so he told me to do a major water change and siphone as much of the sand as I could. I also cleaned the overflow and the sump as best I could.
I changed about 35 gallons of water and I am still getting a reading of 73.5. What is going on. I didn’t have this issue the last time. I was so looking forward to doing my transfer soon. I used special grade sand the last time as well and didn’t have this happen. Please help. I am confused as to what is happening.
Could it be the block from my old tank or is it truly the sand?
If you have detectable nitrite it will be messing with your nitrate test.

Troylee

all about the diy!!!!!
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m not sure that’s right mate. Please explain ?
Nitrite gives you a false nitrate reading. It’s part of the cycle… ammonia~nitrite~nitrate

furface

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nitrite gives you a false nitrate reading. It’s part of the cycle… ammonia~nitrite~nitrate
Hiya, thanks for the response but just saying it’s part of the cycle doesn’t explain Why Nitrite gives a false Nitrate reading.

the cycle where nitrosomonas turn the Amonia into Nitrite tne Nitribactors turn Nitrite into Nitrate. Please explain how it gives a false reading ? Is it just something you read ?

Top Shelf Aquatics

furface

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Our hobby nitrate kits break down nitrate into nitrite to measure. If there is already nitrite present, it will inflate the results of the nitrate test.
Mate I’m really confused so our kits turn nitrate back into nitrite ?

Top Shelf Aquatics

blecki

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't know if that's how the tests work and I'm not a chemist, but seachem does say

"A: If you are getting a pronounced nitrite reading, it is not possible to get an accurate nitrate reading, since the nitrite reading will interfere. You should be able to make a very approximate assessment of nitrate, since the nitrate color will be additive to the nitrite color."

So it's a good idea to test your nitrite. IME it's never really detectable during the cycle but - why not rule that out?

Cell

10K Club member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Nutramar Foods
BRS

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%
Battlecorals
Back